• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. mariew

army photo

I was looking through my parents photos and found this, I have looked at it through a magnifying glass but cannot recognise anyone, is there any way of telling what year it was from or where it was taken, any info would be appreciated.
  2. mariew

woolworths gone into administration

I cannot believe Woolworths has gone into administration, it has been trading for nearly one hundred years.
  3. mariew

wharton street

I always thought my mom was born in colehall lane but now I have her birth certificate from my brother, I see she was born in Wharton street, which my aunt said is in nechells, I don't know where about in nechells it is? but has anyone got any photos of it please? especially of around 1932 when...
  4. mariew

tower ball room

I've just read in the evening mail that pub and club owner Liam O Connor has saved the tower ball room from demolision and it will be reopening around easter, he has bought a 25 year lease and is refurbishing it.
  5. mariew

old book

A friend of my husbands has borrowed me an old book he rescued from a skip, it has some fab pictures in especially the one of the poor children they haven't even got shoes, maybe they have been posted before but just in case here is a few.
  6. mariew

St Edburgha's Church Yardley

I joint this site mostly for family research but I now find myself interested in history, and I was reading an article in the evening mail about queens park in yardley and the lovely church st edburgha's, I didn't realise that it was so old it was completed in 1461 and was dedicated to king...
  7. mariew

Oddbins wine shops

I have memories of my mom mentioning a shop called odd bins is this a shop or is it just in my imagination and if it was a shop where was it.
  8. mariew

Thomas Broomfield

I have been in contact with a family member and dicovered that my great uncle fought in the first world war his name was Thomas Broomfield he died in hospital at Clacton on sea of his injuries he was private 7882 of the east yorkshire regiment the year of his birth was 1887 and he died in 1915...
  9. mariew

silver stamper

My great great grandad born 1834 was a silver stamper does this mean he stamped patterns into silver.
  10. mariew

Brum Postcards

I've been to the big brum antiques fair this morning and picked up a few postcards of brum aston hall 1908 new street 1909 victoria square1903 they might have been posted before but just in case here they are.
  11. mariew

pub book

I just thought I'd post this one it has some lovely photos of old pubs and only cost £3.50.
  12. mariew

Hams Hall Power Station.

My grandad on my moms side was a fitter at hams hall I have heard of the place but never seen it has anyone any photos of the place and what would his job entailed as I know my mom said he had a very bad fall there he was born 1901 so I should inmagine he worked there in the 20s 30s maybe 40s...
  13. mariew

steeplejack painter

On my grandads death certificate it says his occupation was steeple jack, painter at the corporation gas works, but I cannot imagine this was a permanant job as they would not need painting al of the time. Also I should imagine it was quite a dangerous job does anyone know anything about this...
  14. mariew

old postcards

I've been to another antiques fair and pick up some old post cards they may have been posted before but here they are anyway, also one of western in 1905 couldn't resist that one as that was the first holiday me my husband and kids had.
  15. mariew

new street

I bought these two photos from an antiques fair, they may have been posted before, but I will post them just in case they haven't, they show New Street from the town hall and from high street in 1895, I think they are lovely all the horse and carriages and the beautiful street lamps.
  16. mariew

Parker Hale

Going through my moms tin I came across this invite for my mom (who sadly past away 4 years ago) and my uncle richard, I didn't know what Parker Hale was, but I remember my mom saying she loved working there, anyway I asked my uncle what they did there and he said they made guns and all mucked...
  17. mariew

thumb latch maker

Can anyone tell me what a thumb latch maker was that was what my 3x grandfather done for a living.
  18. mariew

jones nee flynn

My Great Great Grandparents around about the 1860's, and my Great Aunts wedding photo.
  19. mariew

snuffer maker

I have a document of my Great Great Great Grandfathers that says his occupation was a snuffer maker has anyone any idea what this was exactly.
Back