• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. H

Erdington

Hi Jean, thank's for replying to my note. I don't think there is anything left of the old house. As you look up Hanson's Bridge it was on the rigt hand corner. I think it was converted to flats when I lived there in the 60's and was later demolised altogether. A run down delapidated house...
  2. H

Erdington

Re: Erdington Photos There used to be a large house on the corner where Hanson's Bridge Road meets Eachelhurst Road. It must have been demolished in the Sixties. I can just remember it, I think there are some flats there now. By the way, am I the only person that calls it THE Eachelhurst...
  3. H

Street furniture

Regarding the Fire alarms fitted on the streets, I remember there was one at the junction of Paget Road and Tyburn Rd where the LollyPop Man took us kids across the Tyburn Road - and I was almost killed dashing back into the road to pick up a book I had dropped. Amazingly the Lollypop man did...
  4. H

Items that have faded away

Does anyone remember Cadbury's BAR SIX? I used to buy one every evening at the newsagents by the Bagot Arms (perhaps called Jones Newsagents) on Chester Road on my way home from school. That was in the 1960's. they had six pieces and cost 6d. Similar to a Kit Kat but better.
  5. H

Items that have faded away

I think palings are a more substantial fence . I recall them as about 5 - 6ft high lengths of wood about 3in wide and with a gap between each one. Pype Hayes Park used to be surrounded by them (in the days of Park Keepers and locking the gates at sunset). Incidentally the term "Beyond the Pale"...
  6. H

Castle Vale

That is a very interesting web site you refer to. Thanks for bringing it to attention. Do you recall that awful area, near the pools, that was all grey and slimey? It was some sort of industrial waste that had been dumped there. As kids we steered clear of it. Steve
  7. H

Castle Vale

The pool you are referring to was once one of the reservoirs that supplied Birmingham's water, before it was piped in from Wales. I may be wrong but I don't think it was a gravel pit or particulary deep. I recall in the 1960's one of my friends swimming across it. Sooner him than me. As my...
  8. H

Birds Eye View Of Birmingham

I left Brum in 1967 aged 15. Whenever I go back,or even if I meet another Brummie, I talk in the old twang (accent) straight away. Love it. Regarding being ashamed of being a Brummie, which I ain't, if you are, I suggest giving Warwickshire as a residence. Birmingham being in Warwickshire...
  9. H

d-day landings

The gearboxes used on the landing jetties of the Mulberry Harbours were, I believe, made by the MOSS GEAR Co of Chester Rd, Erdington. My Dad, who worked at the Moss during and after the War told me this.
  10. H

Castle Bromwich Aerodrome

Re: Castle Bromwich Areodrome Hello, Regarding Castle Brom Aerodrome and just for general interest, I can recall a barrage balloon with a basket below it and paratroopers dropping out of it. I think the parachutes were on an automatic opening device. That must have been in the late fifties as I...
  11. H

Apollo Cinema Erdington

Re the Apollo, I recall reading an article, probably in the 1970's, in a Sunday magazine about the Apollo. Apparantly the projectionist managed to save a few items from the Cinema before it was demolished. A few seats, curtains, bill boards, posters, that sort of thing. He re-erected them in...
  12. H

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

Must have been the S71 then as Warmley was down the Eachlehurst Rd. I don't recall Ashfurlong Corner ( I left Brum in '67)
  13. H

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

Thank you all for the memories. During the mid-sixties my pals and I would catch the Midland Red S71 (or was it S72?) from Eachelhurst Rd to Erdington Swimming Baths. It was an up market affair compared with the Birmingham Corporation ones. There was also a 114 which ran into town. It cost...
  14. H

Apollo Cinema Erdington

Lovely photograph of the Apollo. I left B'ham in '67, but then and now refer to that area of shops as "the Apollo". By the way, the bus will be a 66 or possibly a 66J. I used to catch it home twice a day, dinner time and home time, after school. Oh the joy of running along as it left the...
  15. H

Spoked wheel

Hi Morturn, The showcase at New St Station was the Moss Gear's. I never saw it but my dad worked for the Moss as a technical rep. I remember him saying it was great to meet a potential customer at the station and walk by the showcase. It pretty much sealed the sale. Regards Steve hansonbridge
Back