• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

Summer Lane

Hi Lyn What I actually meant was that there was no "1899 Settlement Building" as such. The Settlement started in Colmore Terrace which was built much earlier. I can only apologise for my poor English that caused the confusion, and also for the delay in responding - for some reason I wasn't...
  2. A

Summer Lane

I too visited the newsagent on several occasions when I worked next door. Very sad day when those buildings got demolished, although looking at the subsidence it was probably a miracle they survived as long as they did!
  3. A

Summer Lane

Sadly that link is now dead :( I have however got the book already! Think it was published by Brewin Books so a Google search should locate it if anyone else wants a copy!!
  4. A

Summer Lane

Sorry to have to correct you Vivienne14 but the photo you posted in post #583 does not show the 1899 Settlement building. It shows the row of 5 Georgian houses called Colmore Terrace which were built sometime between 1792 and 1815. The houses were set back from the road with a garden in front of...
  5. A

Soho House

Great photo! What was the building to the right? Looks like it's constructed of corrugated metal!
  6. A

Victoria Cross & George Cross Holders of Birmingham

Just discovered that George Onions was my second cousin three times removed! So proud of him!
  7. A

Soho House

Haven't been able to look at the portrait in the Visitor Centre yet but my colleague tells me that it's the one that James Watt commissioned after Matthew Boulton's death in 1809, and the one you saw alongside James Watt in BM&AG is still there! It looks very similar to the one in BM&AG but the...
  8. A

Soho House

I see the two portraits nearly every day, and the younger one (he is 42 in it) is by far my favourite although he was still a very distinguished gent at 73! Haven't had chance to check the exhibition gallery today but will see what I can do tomorrow! Thanks for the £50 article, Mervyn King...
  9. A

Soho House

I might be mistaken about it being in the Visitor Centre then - I know there is a portrait up there, that is very similar, but us Visitor Services Assistants don't go up there very often, too busy working! Will pop up if I get chance soon and take a quick snap with my phone camera! I knew it had...
  10. A

Soho House

I am quite jealous Judy, the Sitting Room is by far my favourite room, although of course it would have been very different when you lived there! I have loved reading the stories of your time at Soho and looking at the photos you have posted too! Thank you x
  11. A

Soho House

Lots of changes! In Anne's Sitting Room the cabinet you can see is now on the right hand side with the newly acquired writing table in the left alcove, the mirror has also been changed! And the painting of Mr Boulton is now in the Visitor Centre Exhibition Gallery! The Sphinxes are in the...
  12. A

Soho House

I don't know when the policy changed but I started working there last year (2012) in July when the Museum opened for the season and you didn't need forms then, and you still don't! It's well worth coming back for a visit as there are a few new acquisitions - Anne Boulton's writing table is back...
  13. A

Soho House

You don't have to fill in a form to take photos now!
  14. A

Soho House

Not sure James Watt would have been that interested as it wasn't his house! It belonged to Matthew Boulton!!
Back