• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. T

Hetty Haynes (Haines) Greengrocer Erdington

Wow, I remember Haynes well - my nan and grandad lived on Anderson Road and used to shop with them. I can well remember the Bedford bus's being in the back yard but couldn't say for sure that I ever saw one out on the road. This would have been during the early - mid 70's
  2. T

The Lamp Bordesley

Hi Derek - Mary is alive and well :)
  3. T

F & M Coaches

Hi Patrick Would be good to see any info you have - I don't remember F&M but would be interested to learn more about them and see any pics you might have. Good that this thread rekindles some memories for you perhaps too.
  4. T

FLIGHT's Coaches

Ken Flight, whose father Frank started Flights Coaches in 1913 passed away on Sunday 22nd April 2012. Ken took over the family business in the early 1950's when his father passed away and did much to build the Company into one of the most respected coach operators in the country. Flights were...
  5. T

FLIGHT's Coaches

The book I mentioned above has finally come out - "Flights Coaches - People to Places in Style". It's published by Brewin Books and has some excellent pics not only of coaches, but also their depots on Victoria Road in Aston, Berners St in Lozells, and Soho Road in Handsworth.
  6. T

Tyburn Road Bus Works

Lloyd (and anyone else interested :)) Just so as you know, Palletline usd Tyburn Works as a hub - similar to the sort of thing that used to go on at Cheltenham Coach Station many moons ago - all the separate companies in the network would collect pallets locally then trunk them into Tyburn at...
  7. T

Castle Bromwich Aerodrome

I worked for a company called Brain Haulage whose yard was behind the flight "shed" and backed onto the railway. Elan Parcels were next door and the dairy was opposite us on Park Lane. I was fortunate enough to shake hands with Alec Henshaw one day when he visited the site as part of some...
  8. T

Sutton Park - Druids Well @ Bracebridge Pool

just to let you know that we found the well okay last weekend. very grateful to both Dave M and GG Jean for your help the kids (6yr old and 3yr old) found it quite magical - a good way for them to spend the morning off the computer games by going out into the real world for a mini adventure...
  9. T

Many many thanks for your help Dave M and GG Jean The kids will be chuffed with my "magical powers" in finding it now Cheers TonyOz
  10. T

Can anyone help with some directions as to how to find the Druids Well at Bracebridge. I was up there with the kids on Sunday and we couldn't find it anywhere - none of the park maps I've seen seem to make it very clear as to where exactly it is. We walked down the roadway to the restaurant...
  11. T

Car registration numbers

A 1 used to be owned by Dunlop - my dad worked there and I seem to remember seeing it on an Austin Princess (the 70's wedge shape one) at Fort Dunlop in one of the company car sheds - I remember being horrified that such a prestigious number should be on such a boring car
  12. T

Brum traffic images from 1960s onwards ?

any idea where that is mike ? i thought possibly masshouse
  13. T

Brum traffic images from 1960s onwards ?

cracking pics gents, there's an old Bham Corporation Shelvoke & Drury dustcart on the Hurst St pic amongst lots of other memories with the others Any more ????
  14. T

FLIGHT's Coaches

I've finally managed to post some of my collection of pics of Flights Coaches through the years on Flickr. Brewin Books are also publishing a book early next year "Flights Coaches - a pictorial history" written by Andrew Roberts. Any road up, you can find my pics at...
  15. T

FLIGHT's Coaches

last I saw 477 AOP had passed to a company called Goodwins in Manchester who were still taking it to preserved vehicle rallies and the like. I've got quiet a hefty collection of pics of Flights coaches over the years, I'll get them all scanned and uploaded to a hosting site at some stage and...
  16. T

Newtons Coach Company. Franchise Street.

they were bought out by Bowens at some stage in the 60's or 70's there's a book on Bowens history published by Brewin Books that mentions them www.brewinbooks.com
  17. T

Perry Barr Shopping Precinct 1960-9, Lynton Sq

as peter walker says, i wonder now if it was worth all the trouble lol a very windy place to go shopping if i remember correctly seriously though, thanks very much for that, i've trawled the net looking for a pic, i wonder if that could be my dads old hillman husky in front of it ...
  18. T

Perry Barr Shopping Precinct 1960-9, Lynton Sq

just read debbies post about the shops on birchfield road i've been trying to find some photo's of the old lynton square shopping centre but to no avail my mom worked in fames store in the 70's in the decorator centre anybody help ??
  19. T

FLIGHT's Coaches

i worked for flights for a time in the early 80's and am a bit of an anorak with buses and stuff they were started by Frank Flight in the early 1920's on Victoria Road where they ran a garage and taxi business. Over the years they expanded and had a car dealership as well as travel agents and...
  20. T

History of vehicle registration numbers

the Lord Mayors car still carries LOM 1 showing the Birmingham "O" and his initials either side.
Back