• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Rover A coy Home Guard 1941

Hi Chris, I've checked with my older brother and as far as we know Howard Sanbrook was never promoted, I've also had a look at the other photo you mentioned and am afraid I can't spot him with any certainty on that photo. In passing I see from that programme that the company were awarded a cup...
  2. S

Hi Chris, glad it’s of interest, hope you can read it well enough, I can do a higher resolution scan if you would like. Its all done on one side of the sheet, something like Roneo stencil or whatever they had and the venue is to the left and the programme on the right. I’m not sure if it would...
  3. S

Home Guard

Hi, i've been pointed towards this area as I was talking about my father and a photo of the Rover A coy home Guard Unit, he was a member from June 1941 until December 1944 and while looking through family history bits and bobs I came across the programme from a "stand down" dinner at the...
  4. S

Hi Chris, Dad's name was Howard Wilfred Sanbrook his certificate says he served from 11 June 1941 until 31 December 1944, I have the printed programme with group photos from the concert on Dec 7 1941, as you say a very ambitious effort and also a programme from the stand down dinner on Dec 16...
  5. S

While searching through a box of family history bits and pieces I found this and thought someone else might like to see it. It's the Rover HomeGuard A coy in 1941. They would appear to have won a cup as they look very pleased with themselves. bless them all. They look very well equipped...
  6. S

Uniform c1915

Thanks Lyn, will need to check and come back to you
  7. S

Uniform c1915

He was George Sanbrook and it was 60 Dymoke Street, he’s the seated gent to the right with the buttonhole flower, watch chain and moustache, I assume from his smart dress and the fact that it’s his back garden there was some family involvement. Grandads second wife by this time was Emmie Adams...
  8. S

Uniform c1915

I'm trying to unravel a family wedding photo, from the guessed age of my dad in the little chair this would be about 1915/1916 or maybe a little earlier (he was born in 1910) There are two soldiers on the photo, I understand the one at the back in the flat hat may be Royal Garrison Artillery...
  9. S

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

Going back to the school trip to Paris, I went in 1958 (I think), memory says it was Easter but was it for second form or third form?Brum to Newhaven by train, Newhaven Dieppe by ferry (with at least one of the crew offering to sell a surreptitious packet of fags) then train again to Paris. At...
  10. S

Morris Commercial Vehicles

I'm a bit late seeing this thread but I had a very short spell in the accounts office (Purchase Ledger I think) in the late 60's /early 70's. I'd moved away from home in Clipston Road to Shropshire but jobs were a bit hard to find and was thinking of moving back. All the work that I can...
  11. S

Central Grammar was also very early to adopt what we would now call an adventure centre. From 1915 they had use of a cottage and out buildings at an old lead mine at Bryntail near Llanidloes. Parties of boys went at Easter and in the summer. Originated by Henri Guerra in 1915 and carried on by...
  12. S

Bus Tokens

I went to Central Grammar School when it was based in Cherrywood Road, as the school did not have it's own playing field at that time we used to be taken by hired BCT buses to Metchley Lane on whatever our games afternoon was. As we would need to go home in assorted direcions afterwards we were...
  13. S

What is the Parish Church for Ketley Bank?

There were also churches at Red Lake and Holy Trinity, Oakengates although this only dates from Victorian Times. They are under the control of the Diocese of Lichfield Regards Sandy Brook
  14. S

Birmingham Athletic Institute

Many thanks for the map - my memory of going past what I always thought of as "the far end " of New St Station (Navigation Street really) from where I worked near Snow Hill was about right then. I wish I'd got some of my own pictures to share but it was in the days when not only did a roll of...
  15. S

Hello Maria, thanks for the note about the book, I'll try and get hold of a copy. My memory agrees with your description of 'sort of' behind New Street Station, I must dig out a map and have a look. I'm beginning to realise what a valuable asset has been lost to future generations as so many...
  16. S

Hello G G Jean, Thanks for adding a bit more to the story, I'd forgotten about Ogwen Cottage, was it owned by Birmingham Education at that time as I seem to remember one of the boys from the next year to me at school going there. He used to come cycling with my mates and was one of the reasons...
  17. S

Hi Devon Jim, I guess you're another exiled brummie, After many years in Shropshire I'm now up in Ayrshire. Thanks for your note about the Cave and Crag, I'd forgotten about them and that I once knew someone who was a member. I've just had a look and the club is still going and has a website...
  18. S

Following on from the photo of the BAI building I'm hoping someone will have memories or pictures from the mountaineering courses from the 1960s. Ive found a brief mention that after a few years these spun off into the formation of the Mercian Mountaineering Club but can't find anything else...
  19. S

I was at Central from 1956, when it was in Cherrywood Road and can remember our art teacher as Greatorex ( I was in the 3rd year by the time we moved to Gressel Lane and spectacularly bad at art so didn't have much to do with him there. For at least a couple of years I can remember him...
Back