• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Grassy Bank

Villa Street, Hockley (The Flats)

Hi Lyn, Thanks for this further insight into life at the Flats. So it's a good chance that as your grandparents were the first tenants at 51 and you Dad remembers the bombs around 1941/2 that the maisonettes were being occupied around this time. This throws into doubt that we were the first...
  2. Grassy Bank

Paddington Street Aston

A couple more family shots with a Paddington Street connection. These were taken on the occasion of the Queens Coronation in 1953 and show some of my siblings enjoying the feast in Paddington Street, maybe Lyn would know which end of the street was taken over! At the table end on the right is my...
  3. Grassy Bank

Gothic Cottages Hunters Vale

Hi Lyn, thanks to your photos of the Villa St/Hunters Vale corner I can now locate where this photo was taken as our maisonette was no 53 on the corner so the backdrop is 'The Vale' with the metal works behind the wall. It's my brother in the pram who was born in 1952 so this was probably...
  4. Grassy Bank

Cowper Street

Hi all, I've just picked up on this thread and I thought you may find of interest a family connection to the Three Horse Shoes. My Aunt (Dorothy Flint) was the licensee in the late 1930's having been widowed in 1933 with two young boys to bring up and run the pub, her husband was Bertram Flint...
  5. Grassy Bank

Centrebus

Here is the front and back of the flyers that were given out at the time..
  6. Grassy Bank

Bristol Street 1950's, 60's

It looks like the thinking is towards it being a toilet and this maybe the answer. In Old Mohawks picture you can see that it has a centre entrance which is tiled and with the ventilated roof it looks that it is a large toilet building. A little detail that has come to light is that the...
  7. Grassy Bank

Thanks for this photo from a different angle. At least we know what it looks like from the front. With such ventilation it could well have been a public convenience although a little extravagant compared to the normal!
  8. Grassy Bank

Hi everyone, Can anyone help me with information and/or photo of a strange building in Bristol Street in the 50's/60's. I attach a picture, undated but around early 60's? of a no.19 City Circle bus that has just turned left into Gt. Colmore Street from Bristol Street. The Bell pub is just...
Back