• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Leisure time

Hi Chris, I see you live in Sparkbrook! We used to live on Warwick Road, Sparkhill back in the early 60's always remember our house being right on the main road. As kids we went to Golden Hillock Road School not sure if that is still standing now.
  2. S

Leisure time

Thank you Chris and SisterSue for the clarification, I thought I was doing something wrong! I am very new to this and trying to find out anything I can about Birmingham especially the areas of Hockley, Lozells, Aston and surrounding areas. Both my parents were born and raised there and I live in...
  3. S

Leisure time

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong as I cannot view the photos that people post in their messages like the one above. I have tried clicking on numerous places on the page. My father was stationed in Egypt so I am interested to know what year, unit and who is in the photo. Thanks so much...
  4. S

Castle Vale

I also lived on the Castle Vale Estate from about 1968-1978. I went to Castle Vale Comp and know most of the pubs that have been mentioned. I also went to Chivenor Primary school on the vale. I was great back then as our house was brand new and it felt like luxuary compared to where we had...
  5. S

Mann/Bannister Family Farm St, Wheelers St, Hockley, Lozells

Thank you both Lyn and Sue for the information. I am so looking forward to discovering more so I will check the links you have provided. My mom and dad came from quite large families so my mom had many brothers and sisters one possibly born in 1929. Some of the names I remember are Pauline, Ada...
  6. S

Thanks Lyn, I will check out the pics. I am just starting on tracing my family tree and hope someone out there might know my parents. I remember stories my mother told us but a little vague on names etc. What would be the best place to start tracing back on family records? Susan
  7. S

Does anyone remember the Mann or Bannister families from the above areas? Dennis Mann was born 1927 and Lily Bannister was born 1926, They went to Burbury St School. Lived in Wheelers Street from about 1956 onwards but their parents may have lived there a lot longer than that.
  8. S

Birmingham boxers?

How touched I was when I read this message. Johnny Mann was my uncle and yes he was a great guy just like his dad who we called old uncle Sam. I am very new to all this research so to see these comments is very inspiring. Johnny's dad Sam was my grandads brother.
  9. S

Birmingham boxers?

This is my uncle Johnny Mann. I have a newspaper article that states he coached Johnny Prescott. His father who worked at Turners would have been Samual (Sammy) Mann). do you know anyone else in the Mann family or know where I can find more info on Johnny and his boxing? Thank you.
  10. S

Birmingham boxers?

My uncle was Johnny Mann and he was a Birmingham boxer. He did very well from what I know and judging by the birthdate above I think this could be the same person. Do you know of anyone else from the Mann family or on the boxing circle as i am trying to trace info on my family who all lived in...
  11. S

Evacuee from Burbury St School

Hello everyone I am very new to this and trying to find out as much as I can about my family. My mom and dad went to Burbury Street School and my mom was evacuated to South Wales she would have been around 12 at the time. I was born in Wheelers Street not sure where my mom was born but I know it...
Back