• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. V

handsworth and other memories

Hi What year were they at Woodville school, I was there from abt 1947 -1949/50 I lived in Lawnswood FGrove off Island Rd From Valerieexbrummie
  2. V

Hockley Hill

Hi Just found the picture above, My grandfathers place must have ben the next one, I have downloaded this one thank you so much, maybe someone somewhere will have a picture further down. valerieexbrummie. I am still learning to find my way around the forum
  3. V

Hockley Hill

Hi Thank you so much for showing me on your map the building for Charles Sanders. it must have been demolished before 1963 as my parents had moved so I didn't pass it. I remember seeing that it had gone abt the last time I went to Handsworth. I hope someone will have a photo of that...
  4. V

Hockley Hill

Re: hockley hil Hi . thanks so much for the pics of . do you have a pic of the Hi to you all gt pics, does anyone have a pic of the left hand side of the hill looking towards Handsworth, just below the Post office, my father and Grandfather had a jewellery business, with there name on...
  5. V

Handsworth - Island Road

Does anyone remember a margaret griffiths she had a sister Jean they lived in Idland Rd in the 1940's and 50's valerieexbrummie
  6. V

Handsworth Dairies

very interesting. I lived right by the daries from 1939 to 1958 I remember fetching 6 pennyworth of ice cream in a cup from the shop. and until they built a wall, I could watch the loading and unloading from my bedroom window. I went to school with Elizabeth White,1947 to 1950 do you...
  7. V

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

does anyone have a photo of Hockley Hill from Key Hill down to Hockley Brook, my grandfather had a jewellery business on the hill, called Charles Sanders jewellers, it was knocked down to build the flyover. from valerieexbrummie
  8. V

Smethwick

I worked in the office of hopes heating from 1954 to 1955 I worked in the typing pool with mrs berry I remember the canteen meals they had syrup sponge neatly every day, I couldn't resist it. Valerieexbrimmie
  9. V

The footballing Deveys

Hi Have just found your mentions of the Devey Family, my family the Sanders lived near to them and they were great friends, my Gt Uncle Frederick Sanders was wanted by the Villa but his father wouldn't let him go. The Sanders family were all jewellers. valerieexbrummie
  10. V

handsworth and other memories

Hi. Have loved reading all these stories, it brings back memories. I grew up in handsworth in the 1940 and50's. I loved it I went to Rookery rd school woodville and Wattville rd My first job was at Hopes Heating, then at the Northern aluminium, my favourite haunt was the WBA football...
  11. V

Holyhead Road

Hi. Just seen your thread re Holyhead rd. was 64 woodville private school . i went there 1947 to 1950 miss Parker was headmistress. There was a mrs Coe and a muss Ashmore. I lived off island rd Let me know Valerieexbrummie
  12. V

Cheaper or Free BMD Certificates ?

Hi Go to the library I think 4th floor for archives, book a film reader, they will help you if needed, If its a marriage and you know the year and the church you will be able to look at the film and find it and get a copy. Also the same for a baptism, not sure about a death, it will be just...
  13. V

William Tranter, gunmaker

Hi. I gave just read this with interest, and thrilled to find a photo of the tranter family, I am a descendant of Caroline nary gough grosvenor, she wad my grandmothers grandmother on my fathers side. Her mother was elizabeth gough, and father Walter grosvenor. Have you researched these...
  14. V

Handsworth during the 50's and 60's

Hi I went to Wattville Rd school 1947 to 1954 I was in Mr Sandfords class Miss Coopers and Miss Turners does anyone remember this time I lived in lawnswood Grove off island Rd I remember a Mr Cadman in the juniors valerieexbrummie
  15. V

Handsworth Dairies

Hi to you all, Does anyone remember a Beryl Stokes who worked at the Daries in Island road part time in the fifties, she also had a horse, and she lived in Churchill road Handsworth I worked with her and wonder how she is, I haven't seen her since 1958 valerieexbrummie
  16. V

Birmingham's Button Industry and Factories

Hi My ancestor a William Sanders born 1873 was a button burnisher in the jeweller qtr. I think he worked from home for himself doing work for button companies. not sure. valerieexbrummie
  17. V

St Mary's Handsworth Look Ups

Hi your query above, it is St mary's next to Handsworth Park. a very old church. from valerieexbrummie from Handsworth
  18. V

Handsworth Dairies

Hi All I know abt the White family is that Elizabeth Whites mother married the vicar of St Pauls in the jewellery qtr, I don't know when, from valerieexbrummie
  19. V

WW1 medals J G Davis Royal Warwickshire Regiment - recovered 2007

thank you very much for the photo. I have a regiment photo, but I don't know which soldier he is. from valerieexbrummie
  20. V

WW1 medals J G Davis Royal Warwickshire Regiment - recovered 2007

Hi Thank you very much for sending the info on Walter Sanders. I also have some info on the day he died. and have a photo of the cemetery he is in. I think his medal probabbly went to his sister and they have been passed down their line, from valerieexbrummie...
Back