• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. G

Tucker Eyelets

Sadly my dad died 5 years ago. Many former Tucker's employees came to the funeral. I will need to look in his address book, but his great friend was John Murray; he also knew men called Alan, Andy, Brendan and Morris. The factory is empty now. A site called 28dl has photos of the interior.
  2. G

William Cowper Street School

I do remember Mrs Burton - she played the piano.
  3. G

I started in 1961 so we missed each other! Was Mr Powell your headmaster? Remember Mrs Burton or Mr Tapper?
  4. G

I was at Cowper St School 1961-1968. How terrible to see this beautiful building destroyed. The building they put in its place is hideous.
  5. G

Guildford Street Lozells

Yes they are all gone now! Actually the Dockers still live quite close to my mother in Newtown. I do remember a Billy Clarke who was a great mate of my Uncle Bill Palfrey. There was a huge derelict factory in our terrace. I think the photo shows 35 - 47 Guildford St; we are no 37 and it is...
  6. G

Guildford Street Lozells

Christine Trotter and Ronnie Pierce ring a bell. The Lutwyches were Julie, Sonya, Sheree and Kenny. My mother shopped at Rudhalls and another shop at the end of the street; for a big shop she went up the Lozells Rd or Summer Lane. My cousins who lived next door to us (David and Mark Burke)...
  7. G

Guildford Street Lozells

Re: Guildford Street Frightening isn't it! I am retired, living in wales, one grown up daughter. We only moved in 1967 to New john St west. I remember Mr Sims calling you, me, Sandra Steele and Philip Hart into his office to tell us we had passed the elven plus! I remember also Mrs Burton...
  8. G

Guildford Street Lozells

I lived at no 37 and the 'God Bless our Boys' was close to us; i think it dated from WW1. The Lutwyches lived next to us, and the Etkins (Joan and Monty). My mother shopped at Rudhalls. I don't rmember Barbara Clarke but it was 40 years ago! We left in 1967 when they emptied the street for...
  9. G

Guildford Street Lozells

Re: Guildford Street How are you? did you live in Guildford St? We lived at no 37. My sister and I went on from William Cowper to King Edward's Grammar. My mother still lives in New John St West, from where I used to walk to William Cowper. I remember Mr Sims, Mrs Burton and Mr Tapper...
  10. G

Guildford Street Lozells

Re: Guildford Street Yes - is it David Probyn - I was at school with you. I'm Gina While.
  11. G

Tucker Eyelets

My father William Arthur While spent much of his working life at Tuckers, rising from the bench, to chargehand, foreman and then Toolroom Supervisor. I went to the Xmas parties for children there. I am so sorry it is closing.
  12. G

Walter Collins and the Beet family

These children and a gentleman named Collins are buried next to my grandparents in an old part of Witton Cemetery. I always look at the tombstone as it is so sad.
Back