• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Courtyards and yards of brum

Thanks to Mikejee and also to Dennis for the pictures. The fellow who lived here was a chair maker (as opposed to chain maker) - I've had to be quite careful not jumping to conclusions about occupation. I know that chain-making was a key industry here but prior to 1851 census, he had been a...
  2. H

Courtyards and yards of brum

I had an ancestor living in 4 Brass House Passage, Court 2. Were all these "Courts" in the same area of Birmingham? Really great photos on the site.
  3. H

Bull Street

Re the Bull Street Tokens. This is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_coin Trade tokens or barter tokens From the 17th to the early 19th century in the British Isles and North America these were commonly issued by merchants in times of acute shortage of coins of the state to enable...
  4. H

Bull Street

Viv, Thank you very much for the Recollections of Birmingham and Birmingham Men depicting Bull Street in the 1840s. It will really add colour to my family history. I was thinking along the same lines about the coins - will see what I can find out.
  5. H

Bull Street

I just spotted on Ebay this promissary halfpenny token of 1792 for No 29 Bull Street - Donald & Co, stocking manufacturers. I'm intrigued. Did most shops trade like this?
  6. H

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Many thanks Brumgum, you've given me something to go on.
  7. H

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Brass House Passage: I keep finding a few ancestors listed in censuses as being at "Court 2" Brass House Passage and wondered if this "court" still existed? I did try searching this site for this but am not finding it at all easy finding things (probably me!). There is good info about the...
  8. H

Bull Street

Thanks for the 1841 Pigot's listing Mike. In the 1830s there are also listings in Dudley and Stourbridge for him, which has really helped pinpoint his movements - seems he may also have been into tea dealing.
  9. H

Cannon Street Meeting House

Thank you Viv and Wendy for the drawings and photos.
  10. H

Bull Street

My first attempt to submit two images will probably go horribly wrong - no idea if they will be legible. My 3xg.grandfather Samuel Hallam advertising his worldly goods for sale in 1845. It paints a wonderful picture. French corsets indeed - not what I was expecting at all. On the 1841 census...
  11. H

Bull Street

There are Simpson fishmongers at No 6 Bull Street on 1851 Census, so I'm hopeful that my No 7 Bull Street could be either side or opposite. According to my ancestor's sale of stock advert, No 7 was "seventh house from the High Street on the right hand side". Is this part of Bull Street still...
  12. H

Many thanks for the picture Dennis. I will check to see what records exist; might strike lucky. Nickie
  13. H

I was hoping to get a look of the Cannon Street Meeting House but sadly the thumbnails didn't respond trying to open them. I had Baptist ancestors living and working at 7 Bull Street in the early 1840s and have been trying to work out the nearest Baptist chapel - maybe it would have been...
  14. H

Bull Street

Just joined. Really pleased to see this. I wonder if there is another part to the image which includes No 7 Bull Street? My ancestor had a shop at No. 7 selling straw hats, ladies corsetry etc - he was there from about 1840 to 1845 and then emigrated. He obviously lived on the premises as I...
Back