• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. G

Compasses Tavern Alcester Street, Aston

Isn't it strange I have just looked at the 1861 Census as well, and my ancestors William & Patrick Day were lodgers next door to your ancestors Mr Zippy. My ancestors lived at 140 Alcester Street, your ancesters at 141 and the Compasses Tavern was at 142 Alcester Street My maiden name being...
  2. G

Washwood Heath bus garage

When I was at Washwood Heath, Jim Mitchell was the Traffic Manager and Tony Cole was "No. 1", the head Inspector, then he went on to become the Traffic Manager. Sadly he passed away a few years ago. Other inspectors were Les Linnecor, Mark Pollock, (John) Desmond Orr, Brian Morrissey, (Ciaran)...
  3. G

Washwood Heath bus garage

You must have been at Washwood Heath Garage when I was there (1982-1993). I was the Admin Clerk and my office was behind the Garage Engineer's office on the shop floor, then we moved to the into the new block and our offices were on the middle floor between the Traffic Office on the ground...
  4. G

Wilmot Breeden Limited

My brother works at the "Old Sheldon Cinema" which is now Tescos and has been Safeways / morrisons and many other supermarkets before that, it may even been a Kwik Save at one point. He has worked on that site for about 30 years.
  5. G

Wilmot Breeden Limited

My dad Vic Hunt was a bumper polisher at Wilmot Breedons in Amington Road, he lived in Yardley and cycled to work. He met my mom and she worked there assembling locks and they got married in 1950, and lived in Berkeley Road East, Hay Mills. Dad was still working there until he died aged 52 in...
  6. G

Jenney's/ woolley's/shelley's of aston & nechells

Re: THE JENNEY'S/ WOOLLEY'S/SHELLEY'S OF ASTON & NECHELLS My aunt (father's older sister) Gladys Marcella Hunt married a Thomas Woolley and they lived in Phillimore Road, off the Washwood Heath Road in Alum Rock. They had two sons, one is also called Thomas Woolley and the other one is called...
  7. G

goldingay family

I went to Saltley Grammar School, Belchers Lane, Bordesley Green, with a lad called David Goldingay, he would have been born in around 1957 as he was slightly older than me.
  8. G

Hunt marriage request

Re: Hunts marriage request I was born as Miss Hunt, so was reading your thread. The house I was born in, was in Hay Mills, and if you look over the top of Hay Mills Police Station, (now the Bill and Bull Public House) you have the three pears of Worcestershire, the county then changed to...
  9. G

Book: Birmingham Buses Route by Route 1925-1975

I used to work for West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive at Summer Lane as well as Malcolm Keeley that wrote this book! Malcolm can be contacted via the Birmingham Bus Museum at Wythall. https://www.bammot.org.uk/
Back