• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

The Green Lanes, Aston

Hi Jim Green Lane baths were in Small Heath. My maternal grandmother had a cafe there at the turn of the 20th century. Aston swimming baths (I recall using them) were on Victoria Road, Aston.
  2. S

Bierton Road Junior and Infants School

As both your husband and I were born in 1944, it’s possible we were in the same class ! I recall David Smart and David Cartwright- at least, I think I’ve got the first names correct. Certainly I know I’m correct with the surnames. In those days, boys couldn’t step over the demarcation line for...
  3. S

forhill house kings norton;

I worked there for a few weeks as a 'holiday relief' when it was known as an Observation and Assessment Centre. There were some good staff there,but I was not happy about one inciden I witnessed there and something I was told about the head of the home at the time
  4. S

I attended Bierton Secondary School 1955-1959. Mr. Carmichael,whom I also knew as 'Skip,'was also our scoutmaster.I think 'Skip'was from his time in the RAF during the war.Mr.Williams and Mr.Thomas (I don't think you mentioned him)also took us for rugby,and I was in the team approx.1957/8...
  5. S

Bierton road yardley reunion and tour. 1928/1985

I've only just seen these photos of former Bierton Sec. Mod. I was there from 1955-1959
  6. S

Peerless Stampings

Hi Lynda I remember a very kind and friendly man called Bernard who worked on a milling machine. Is it possible heis your father?
  7. S

Peerless Stampings

Thank you for your reply Jean.Incidentally I worked there from August 1959 to March 1963
  8. S

Peerless Stampings

Hi Thank you for replying.I'd given up posting notes on B'ham History Forum because people did not reply! So thank you again. I could never work out why William was nicknamed 'Tiny' because he didn't seem particularly short.I rememember Clive -he trained in the office above the toolroom. I must...
  9. S

Lozells Street

I'm sorry I don't have any photos of the shop, but I do remember being a little afraid of her as a young child! I also remember she had a number of large jars of boiled sweets.I used to sometimes buy sherbet dips, sweet cigarettes, sweet matches and wagon wheels and liqourice from her.
  10. S

Lozells Street

As I lived in Wills Street, I knew Lozells Street very well. In fact, I was a pupil at Lozells Steet School. I remember a sweet shop, which was owned by an elderly lady, on the corner of Wills Street and Lozells Street. Is that the shop you are referring to?
  11. S

Wright's Rope Works

My father worked at Wright's Rope Works during the 1940's and also,I think, the 1930's. I did have a photograph of him at work there but, sadly, it was lost about fifteen years ago. He was a 'splicer.' Sorry I couldn't supply more information.
  12. S

Lozells St Primary School

I attended Lozells Infant and Junior School.Miss Fry was a very popular head, but her replacement,Miss Miles (Moyles) was not so popular. Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Miss Darlington (a wonderful storyteller); Mr.Chapman Miss Marsh (later 'Harris') Mr. Hancox and Mr...
  13. S

Yes, I remember Mr. Ryan - strict but fair. He could also be very funny.
  14. S

KEEP LEFT FOR THE DOLLS CLUB

Mine too! I remember dancing with a lovely looking and charming girl, who was one the artistes there.
  15. S

Re: Bierton Road As your husband Dave was born in 1944 we must have been in the same year, as it's my year of birth. My teachers were Mr. Ryan , Mr. Brighton , Mr. Edwards and Mr. West - a despicable man! The head was Mr. Carmichael who,I believe was a Spitfire pilot in the Second World War.
  16. S

Peerless Stampings

I started work as an apprentice toolmaker at Peerless Stampings in August 1959. I certainly remember names such as Ted Roberts; Ben , the miller; Terry Thynne. In addition, Alan Smith and Doug on the lathes and many others. My closest friend, however, was Norman Nelson, who was from St. Kitts...
Back