• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. W

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Round the corner from the Odeon in Canterbury Road?
  2. W

Aston Tavern, Aston Hall Road

Hello from this 79 yr old My mum and dad had the sweet and tobacco shop opposite the Churchyard and Dr. Freeman's lovely house. Mrs Warman the Vicars wife lived on the worner of Vicarage Road and we used to go to parties on the lawn for all the children. Loved the Onion Fair but had my...
  3. W

Gec Magnet Landor Street

Hello My Dad worked in the Process Planning Department of the GEC Witton with Bill Turnock. My Dad was Sid Smith. My mum Beattie Smith also worked there in the war in the Munitions Department and her sister, Gertrude Bewley (nee Wykes). They often talked of the dances at the Magnet Club...
  4. W

Hi fifties boy This is the only photo I have of the Villa Ground. I am also putting a photo of our shop opposite the Church and Onion Fair ground. I might find something else later but in a rush at the moment. So good to read other memories of theVimto shop thanks all.Will try another day...
  5. W

I am a little adrift here as I seem to remember a Clarks shoe shop one side of Aston Lane and a Barclays Bank on the other corner, Cross the traffic lights up towards the Birchfield Picture House and you come to the Birmingham Municipal Bank with its little black saving boxes, next to...
  6. W

Fabulous memories of Enid Goodwins Dancing School, always seemed to be doing the quick step to Joe Loss and "In the Mood". Names remember are Albert Cotterill and his Brother Bill, Alan Redfern, Derek Stockley, Christine Smith. Is it still in existence or gone for ever like all my memories...
  7. W

Does anyone remember the shop just before the railway bridge, opposite Dodds ironmongers where it supplied hot Vimto in thick glasses with a straw. ver so dingy inside ?
  8. W

The yard at the back of Wilkins Chemist was a warehouse for the chemist shops all over Birmingham owned by Mr A D Norton. There were 39 branches to be stocked from here and above the retail shop. An old carpenter named Mr. Medlam also had a workshop in this yard so there was a lot of traffic...
  9. W

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

I lived in the sweet and tobacco shop opposite next to the Post office at 3 - 5 Witton Lane. Very busy when the Onion Fair came. The Vicars wife, was a lovely lady and used to come in every day and the landlady of the Aston Tavern pub, Mrs Mc Govern? used to bring us hot dinners on a Sunday...
  10. W

Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School

There was Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School at 10 Park Avene which has now become maisonettes - big old rambling house with storage for carriage and horses etc. and Soho College for Girls on the Soho Road, At HKPS we wore green and has straw hats in the summer striped green and...
  11. W

Enid Goodwin Dance School

I used to go there too and enjoyed every minute. The craze was "In the Mood" there at the time and I remember Alan Redfearn, Derek Stockley, Albert and Bill Cotterill. Good days long gone
  12. W

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School, Park Avenue, Handsworth Edit. Here's a link to the Handsworth Kindergarten thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/handsworth-kindergarten-prep-school.48014/#post-597348
  13. W

Hi Stash I have been trying for a long time to get info from previous pupils etc. I was there from 1947 to 1957 and was mainly in Miss Lewton's class upstairs. Also Menna Bunn's. She smoked Craven A in the classroom standing in front of the gas fire ( I passed the 11 plus and went to...
  14. W

Schools in Aston and Witton 1911 - 1922

Thank you johnnyharris - you have hit the jackpot. It was Station Road. Memory reawakened thanks to you. Regards Christine
  15. W

Thanks for that cookie. Memories are flooding back now.
  16. W

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
  17. W

Thank you very much for prompt reply - Albert Road rings a bell. How I wish all this information had been written down at the time !
  18. W

Can anyone help me in suggesting schools my mother, Beatrice May Wykes, who used to live in Nelson Road, Witton, would have gone to please ?
  19. W

In the thirties and forties and fifties, there was Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School at 10 Park Avenue off Soho Road run by Miss K H Treglown as the headmistress. She had a bad fall and sold it to Menna Bunn, one of the teachers there, who was killed in a car crash in 1966 I...
  20. W

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

I have only just read your comments so am just replying with small bit of information ! My dad, Sidney Smith was in the Orphanage after his father was killed in the first World War - his brothers were placed in the Blue Coat School leaving his sister at home with his mother in Aston. She had...
Back