• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

BHF,s SUMMER MEET UP

hi lyn, save me a seat, i owe you a G and T.....incidentally, the paddington st pics have turned out much better than we thought they would?..great...
  2. B

Hockley 1957

harborne, i think mcevoy & pinninton was some sort of cash and carry type of place and later moved into hunters rd, about two or three hundred yards down from the welfare centre.
  3. B

handsworth and other memories

thanks alan for jogging my memory...it was the flower show. cheers...bobbo
  4. B

handsworth and other memories

hi sue, as you go through the main gates of handsworth park, just to the left hand side used to be a sort of field surrounded by an hedgerow. it was in there where our substantial family used to picnic....afterwards, it was the obligatory rowing boats on the lake.......there was a yearly event...
  5. B

Old street pics..

hi astonion, the " allnighter " was a great place to head for when we were bikers....that hot mug of tea on a cold late winters night was very welcoming....we alternated between smokey joes in northfield, the hot dog stand, where now the rotunda has been built, aston bowling alley and several...
  6. B

Hockley 1957

hello harborne, we probably sat next to each other in the villa cross too....i have a faint memory of what we call the " polishing " shop, and that is the " polishing smells "....one of my sisters lived close by and when i used to pop down the road from villa st to visit her it was one of...
  7. B

Old street pics..

hello mags, i always thought that it was strange coming through the doors of the baths at the deep end of the pool....oddly enough, i was pushed in at the deep end the same as you and carolina but by my own brother!....he was a good swimmer and sorted me out, but knocked my confidence for...
  8. B

Hockley 1957

forgot to mention to you harborne, i remeber the drapers shop, my mother shopped there and my eldest brother lived only a few doors away.. bobbo
  9. B

Hockley 1957

hi harborne, did"nt realize you lived above baines, bet we bumped into each other a few times?..we knew meesons well, we had our sweets from there before we went to the palladium for the saturday afternoon matinee. ( saturday morning was the villa cross matinee )..if there was a film on at the...
  10. B

Hockley 1957

back of the net lyn bobbo
  11. B

Hockley 1957

thats a nice pic lyn............i see you"re still on the ball . we all owe you such a lot for your lovely pics that you keep on finding for us...
  12. B

Hockley 1957

hi, many thanks for such lovely pics..the lowering of the bridge is an outstanding photo, as are the hockley hill pics. they are all very memory provoking..thanks old mohawk. bobbo
  13. B

Hockley 1957

hi carolina,... i remember the carnegie very well. as i mentioned, i was the errand boy in the family and did a lot of shopping in hunters rd including the carnegie. it was our local welfare clinic and being one of nine children our family spent a lot of time there. orange juice and dried milk...
  14. B

Hockley 1957

hi maggs....brain ache has stopped now..thanks a lot bobbo
  15. B

Hockley 1957

hiya lyn....i"ll give that thread a try........you know me and pics lyn..thanks for that
  16. B

Old street pics..

hiya mags..you"re not far out with the cost of the bath. our mother used to divvy out one and sixpence to each of us ( one and a tanner? )...also, did you ever use the hairdryer? massive it was, big machine on the wall with an elephant trunk size hose, like something out of alien....it cost a...
  17. B

Hockley 1957

hi astonion, i wonder if you or anyone else can help me? as a kid living in villa st in the early fifties, it was my job to do the errands. we used the doorstep shops and on a regular basis the hunters rd shops....am i right in thinking, that before sammuels was built there was a pub opposite...
  18. B

Hockley 1957

hi harborne, like you , we used to play in the street around hunters rd /nursery rd. waiting for our dad to come home from work. when we spotted him in the distance we would run down to meet him. he usually had a couple of sweets in his pocket for us. i remember his clothes smelling of ( factory...
  19. B

Old street pics..

hi mags...this is a lovely pic of the baths. just the way i remembered it...we were a family of eleven, and some fridays after school, instead of the tin bath performance in front of the coal fire (we all know that one ) mother would send us instead to monument baths to actually have a bath. (...
  20. B

Old street pics..

hello pete.....you mentioned woodcock st baths, we only went their occasionally, i suppose they were slightly nearer to you than us? i dont know if they are still there or not? bobbo
Back