• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Gary Freeth was in my year I started September 1959 until 64 when I was 16/17.
  2. M

miss Doogood was in the juniors.
  3. M

St Cuthberts Childrens' Hospital annexe to Birmingham Childrens Hospital

I think I went to St Cuthberts back in 1956/7 (or there abouts) when I was 10 I had Asian Flue, Yellow Jaundice and Glandular fever in a 12 month period and was sent to a Convalescence home at Malvern Link. I cant remember where about except it was on a main road, we used to go walking up the...
  4. M

Nick look after your self and get well soon. We're all getting old kid.
  5. M

Booths Farm

I remember the farm house, never explored it, wish I had now, but it had been burnt out and there was just the shell. You used to be able to see it from the quarry. Am I right in saying that there were trap doors from the top floor where he did his forging to the ground floor and he got...
  6. M

Rivers : Forgotten Streams or Brooks of Birmingham

Is The Brook still there, or has it been built over I know that the allotments now further up Beeches Rd has a swimming baths built on it. I guess it is all prime building land. Mich
  7. M

Air raid shelters

You must have been a Dorrington Road kid.
  8. M

Air raid shelters

Hi Nick When you came from the huts you came up some steps so you were level with the main senior school. You turn left following the path towards the school building then turn right up the side past the gym and towards the playground junior school. The humps were along side that path. We...
  9. M

Air raid shelters

I was born just after the war, there was an air raid shelter in Beeches Road allotments, where the Swimming baths are now. we would play on the top of it and jump off. many hours I spent there. Also at School there were similar brick ones in the Beeches Road infant and junior school. Also...
  10. M

OLDEST AND YOUNGEST BHF MEMBERS

Is the Sorento still there? I was born at Dudley Road Hosp November 1947, before the national health days, it cost my mom and dad 7s 6p (7/6p) to have me I bet there was times when I was in my teens they regretted that. Talking about teens, I had my son, at the Sorento.
  11. M

School Trips yes I remember them. I remember Rhyl, where me and Hazel Palfrey spent all out money on the fair. I remember a week in Oxford (Headington) that was a girls only trip. Also a year when we went to Lincs. or somewhere over that way, to see the fantastic displays of tulips. We...
  12. M

Rivers : Forgotten Streams or Brooks of Birmingham

This brought back so many memories. That was my route home from school every day. jumping back and forth across the brook. Getting mud all on my shoes. Happy memories. I remember the pump house and wild watercress. I loved it.
  13. M

Great Barr Colony

I remember "the murder" I recon it was mid to late 50's. I was in the junior school at the time and remember acting out the incident in the playground. Wasn't somebody killed with an axe, or was that our vivid childhood imaginations.
  14. M

everybody remembers David Davis!!!
  15. M

I was in the B stream then went in the shorthand typing 5th year class. I started in September 1959 and left in June 1964.
  16. M

Do those names mean anything to you Nicc?
  17. M

Craig Hornby lives down here somewhere, South of the River, or did. How come after all that time you lost contact. I guess I must have left the same time as you, 1963. I think my 5th form teacher was Mrs Edwards, she had a daughter who was also a teacher Miss Edwards, both taught Shorthand...
  18. M

Sorry Graham didn't read it properly. So much for a Perry Beeches education...
  19. M

yes I remember. Shame we didn't all keep in touch. Although I live in Harrow I do hear from Hazel Palfrey and Mary Deedman now and again, they have contact with Susan James, Barbara Flynn and a few others. Who are you Simmo? give me a clue?
Back