• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Parish Church Selly Hill Birmingham

To answer that part of your question: you must have ordered the certificate from the General Register Office (GRO). The GRO's registers are transcripts and don't bear the original signatures (or X marks). If you spash out another 9 quid and re-order from Birmingham Register Office you'll get a...
  2. A

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

The IGI has the marriage of Thomas FARMER to Sarah GALE on 22nd May 1827. If anyone has access to the PRs I'd be grateful for a lookup on this to see what other information is available. TIA Andy
  3. A

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

Well civil registration started in June 1837 so the first thing to try is a GRO index lookup on freeBMD - and we find Surname First name(s) District Vol Page Marriages Dec 1837 (>99%) Griffiths Thomas Birmingham 16 389 HUNT William Birmingham 16 389 Onions...
  4. A

Yardley Cemetery Acocks Green

As a minor point of information Yardley cemetery is in South Yardley (B25), and not in Acock's Green (B27). Part of the cemetery's boundary is right on the boundary between the two districts, where it abuts the canal. More info at...
  5. A

Arnold - alice maud

Seconded. Having the exact d.o.b. makes finding a death so much easier, provided they died in or after the June quarter of 1969. I can only add that her death was registered in the Dec. quarter of 1978, and there appear to have been no children from the marriage - not particularly surprising...
  6. A

Explosions 1950s And 60s

I remember the lorry explosion very well, we heard it at school in Acock's Green, albeit as a somewhat distant rumble. The event was worthy of recording in my Enid Blyton diary (no cringing, please) and I can confirm the date as Tuesday 6th February 1962. "Lorry blew up in West Brom" I wrote.
  7. A

Gt Hampton Row

While on the subject of Gt. Hampton Row, can anyone shed any light on the address 19 Colmore Terrace, Great Hampton Row? My maternal grandparents were living there in 1915, when my grandfather William Robert HEWSON signed up for army service in WW1. In 1911 they were at 217 Gt. Russell St. so...
  8. A

Bellis and Morcom

That pic again and much more here: https://homepage.ntlworld.com/macjoseph/bellis.htm (which can also be accessed through https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/) My dad lived in Monument Road and went to Nelson St, school. In 1930 his first job after leaving school was at Belliss's. Andrew
  9. A

Mary Anne St and Bartholomew ST

Thanks Mike :-)
  10. A

Mary Anne St and Bartholomew ST

This is very interesting. Thanks particularly for posting the 1839 map image - as a matter of interest, what map is this little gem from? (The 1910 image I recognise as being from the Godfrey map of the area.) Some of my HEWSON ancestors lived at 87 Bartholomew street in the 1840s...
  11. A

Alhambra Picture House

Wonderful! Thanks very much to everyone who replied, particularly Icarus and mikejee for the excellent photos and precise location. No one mentioned whether or not the building is still standing - but having looked at the location on a modern map, it seems unlikely. Chandos Road seems no longer...
  12. A

Alhambra Picture House

Can anyone tell me anything about this establishment? I've searched the forum archives and found a couple of mentions, suggesting it was a fairly upmarket picture palace, but there seems to be little information other than that. Where was it exactly, how big, who owned it, etc., etc...
Back