• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Born in Shenley Fields Road, remember the "Duck Pond" when it had a fence round the perimiter and a full time, during opening hours, Parks Policeman. Only fifteen minutes away now. When you look at that car the expression "wong place at the wrong time" springs to mind. J.
  2. J

Sorry If I caused confusion, the chimney that I mentioned was the tall one behind the Oak Pub!
  3. J

How many of the cyclists are without hats?
  4. J

And the Birmingham Battery and Metal Company chimney behind it!
  5. J

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

You should alweays wear a hat when walking in Highbury Park..........
  6. J

You should always wear a hat when sitting in the garden near the dustbin...........
  7. J

You should always wear a hat when out riding your bicycle.........
  8. J

Measurements

There were scales on the back of the lorry and just after WWII nobody would think of cheating you anyway. BUT - you can rest assured the bags were counted in alright.
  9. J

Some lads went absent from Handsworth Tech. to just look at the fire while it was going on. Seemed to last for ages.Halfords fire that is! Must have been before April 1955 when I left school.
  10. J

Some lads went absent from Handsworth Tech. to just look at the fire while it was going on. Seemed to last for ages. The Halfords fire that is!
  11. J

Measurements

Our Co-op coalman, a Mr Roberts used to deliver the coal in 1 cwt sacks. I think I remember 10cwt at a delivery = coalhouse full. All day every day five days a week. He earned his money. He wore a leather collar-cum-back cover, I don't know it's proper name. I bet he needed it and that his back...
  12. J

Measurements

Easily??? Ever tried carrying hundredweight on your back?
  13. J

Police Aided Asociation

We certainly sold paper flags which contributers were encouraged to wear in their lapel as late as 1956. This was one one of the means by which funds were raised. The most popular item given out from Digbeth Police Station without doubt were the very stout, and there for anyone in the know to...
  14. J

Weoley Castle - Alwold Road

The other day I had occasion to drive across the Weoley Castle Estate and thought for old time sake I would have a look at the Raven Pub at the end of Gregory Avenue, then I thought I would have a look at the Stonehouse Pub at the top of Stonehouse Hill – snapshots attached…… Regards, John M
  15. J

Lickey Hills

Hello Paul, I walk in Cofton Park most days with my dog, I've seen this gadget, they are £370 in Maplins, a real big boys toy. Takes you back to your youth and aero modelling and the feeling "I would like one". Hope you are keeping fit. Saw the old (87 years) Co op Baker that used to serve...
  16. J

Longbridge underground tunnels

Looking at the site of the "Flight Shed" today, there will be no more Hurricanes built there. With the piles of concrete the old boys that built it made sure it would not be demolished easily.
  17. J

Lickey Hills

For the information of those who havenot seen it and for those cannot walk, have look at the pictures taken from a drone aircraft. Enter "Fligt of the phantom over the Licky Hills" and follow the link to You Tube. You may findit of interest.I
  18. J

Handsworth Technical School

Sorry, can't see anything about a "budgie". There's an article on keeping rabbits. Strange for aTechnical School!
  19. J

I was there April 53 to April 55. My Dad died Jan 54 and things were tight on the money front. Had to leave school to relieve the pressure. No "O" levels meant everything from then had to be done the hard way. The 53 long picture is the whole school.
  20. J

I have been looking at the various threads of the Forum since I first logged in June 2012 and can’t believe that I have only just found this, the “Handsworh Technical School” thread which I have read, front to back, with great interest. I did not realise there was such a large number of the male...
Back