• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

James Turner Street

More on the history of James Turner Street when everyone had a job Guardiian - Benefits Street: the hard-working history that Channel 4 left out When Birmingham's James Turner Street was built in the 1800s, it attracted the prosperous working classes from all over Britain. Now it's become...
  2. B

James Turner Street

The map you supplied above is very convincing and makes a lot of sense Thanks
  3. B

James Turner Street

That's where all the Confusion lies "Winson House" , "Winston Green House" or "Winston Bridge House" It would be nice to see a copy of the 1857 C.M.Blood map.
  4. B

Libraries Under Threat

I believe both Birmingham and Solihull allow each others citizens to get a library card. I have a Solihull one but live in Birmingham although that may have changed, I am sure if you say you work or study in the area you will get a card.
  5. B

James Turner Street

Carl Chinn is his normal colourful manner has elaborated on the story behind who the James Turner was that the street was named after. As stated we had come to the same conclusion but without the resources at Carl's disposal at the History Department of Birmingham University. The Winston Green...
  6. B

Libraries Under Threat

Birmingham Libraries Campaign : Warning list – Library services at risk in Birmingham
  7. B

James Turner Street

That is basically what Garry Smith says in his book “A Walk Up The Green” mentioned above
  8. B

James Turner Street

This confirms that we must have got the right James Turner
  9. B

James Turner Street

Thanks done that now
  10. B

James Turner Street

Although it could be said to be only anecdotal but coupled with the evidence from the Birmingham Post dated 1868 and the documents held at the Warwickshire County Record Office and listed by the National Archives (see link below)...
  11. B

James Turner Street

Just got home need to cook dinner and scan in pages from a book and write up - Later
  12. B

James Turner Street

Complete Nonsense Been to the Library of Birmingham I have further evidence that the most likely candidate was the James Turner (c 1792 - 1867) of Hammond, Turner & Sons, button makers who's estate the street was built on. Update latter
  13. B

James Turner Street

This coupled with the extract from the Birmingham Post in 1868 that shows the exchange of land with the executors of the late James Turner Esquire to enable the improvement of Foundry Lane does seem to make James TURNER (c 1792 - 1867) the button maker the front runner. More details of the...
  14. B

James Turner Street

I spoke to Chris Upton last Wednesday evening about the subject at our local pub "The Old Moseley Arms" he did know then. I joked with him about it possibly being named after a "gun barrel maker" which I thought was apt as its been reported that when WM Police raided two addresses in the...
  15. B

James Turner Street

I do feel that the key to this is the "James Turner House" that has been said to be nearby prior to the street.
  16. B

James Turner Street

The Birmingham Mail has now joined into the debate of "Who was James Turner?" It appears that the street was Osborne Street in 1877 but became James Turner Street in 1882 Although that does raise the question of who "Osborne" was if it was named after a person ...
  17. B

James Turner Street

Thanks I would have thought had it been the Baptists Minster he would have been "James Turner Rev." not "James Turner Esq." Still More digging required Good Night
  18. B

James Turner Street

First of all I am not suggesting that "J R Turner" was the name that the street was named after that was suggested by the his great-grandson I don't know if that is correct or not but is it a real possibility. As for me be been offhand - Well is all I was asking for was real information with...
  19. B

James Turner Street

If Jenny is owed an apology - I feely give one. What I am saying is that Neil Tweedie's article in the Daily Telegraph is repeating Carl Chinn's opinion from his book "The Streets of Brum - Part 3" without giving any evidence. (Which was covered in the second post on this thread) Carl himself...
  20. B

James Turner Street

I am looking for proof not a repeat of Carl Chinn's doubtful assertion who makes it clear in his book he goes not actually know.
Back