• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. OuterCircleBus

Horseshoe Hotel Stratford Road

Just to bring the tale of this "lost" Birmingham pub up to date: The old Horseshoe pub in Hall Green will be redeveloped as a Costa drive-through and Farmfoods supermarket after plans were approved. (from Birmingham Live - October 2022).
  2. OuterCircleBus

Prefabs

More than half are still lived in and I'm making enquiries to find out if any of the empty ones are likely to be opening up in September. I've been involved on the Heritage Open Days that they were open for four years up to 2019..
  3. OuterCircleBus

belmont /cardigan st

Those photographs are great - thank you Gary
  4. OuterCircleBus

How to I find old street maps?

The Old-Maps website is no longer available for free!!! This is quite a blow for folks such as us who used it for research and our personal enjoyment of Birmingham's heritage. No doubt there are alternatives (I'm looking now!) but I feel this is a sad outcome. D The National Library of Scotland...
  5. OuterCircleBus

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

Hi devonjim. That link does not work, but I found the page you referred to here: https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/photographs/shopping-centres-built-by-laing/#f4840a2d
  6. OuterCircleBus

Prefabs

Thanks for your reply. What type of prefab did you live in?
  7. OuterCircleBus

Prefabs

According to my notes this photograph in Desford Road is of the Hope Family and was taken in the late 1940s. To the best of my knowledge all the post war prefabs that were supplied under the Temporary Housing Programme had refrigerators.
  8. OuterCircleBus

Prefabs

The prefabs in these photographs were the AIROH – which stands for Aircraft Industries Research Organization on Housing. One of Churchill’s objectives was to use factories that had been engaged in the war effort to help create the new Temporary Houses. So, the aircraft manufacturers were...
  9. OuterCircleBus

Prefabs

It's been a while since this was posted, but we use the photograph at the end of our prefabs talk called "Those Damn Tin Cans" This is what we say about the photographs and living in prefabs in the 1950s: "This is probably the best known “prefab” photograph of the era. It’s Hector Murdoch's...
  10. OuterCircleBus

Prefabs

Most local authorities, such as Solihull (in the case of the Olton prefabs) had maybe just one or two sites for their prefab allowance. Birmingham was different, they had a couple of large sites (for instance Druids Heath) but most of the city's allowance was put on the edges of parks, playing...
  11. OuterCircleBus

Prefabs

I have attached a map from around 1950 showing the 10 prefabs that were built on the site in Umberslade Road. The reason that there was gap here was that development took place different developers bought small plots, and I suspect that this one did move forward.
  12. OuterCircleBus

Summer Lane

I'm sure this building was the frontage of the power station which stood on the site between Summer Lane and the canal. You can see it in this aerial photograph taken in 1937. Look to the left about half way up. The chimneys for the boilers are on the left and the cooling towers are on the land...
  13. OuterCircleBus

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

YES! The road slopes the wrong way for the Bull Ring entrance. And there's a few bollard protectors as well as a pair of horse trough protectors. They knew how to keep wheels away from stuff in those days! Dave
  14. OuterCircleBus

AH! Those old peeking blinders! The chalked court number had probably been put there by the photographer. I think it was Cadburys that arranged for photographs of "slums" (to the residents they were little palaces) to be taken during the clearances. To identify the location the photographer...
  15. OuterCircleBus

Duke of York, Doe Street

Doe Street (and Buck Street) look as if they were buried under Jennens Road - the dual carriageway south of Aston University. (Sorry - a bit late to this thread)
  16. OuterCircleBus

Elkington's Electroplating Works were in Newhall Street on the corner of Fleet Street. Most of us would be familiar with the building as it became the Science Museum (memorable as being so much better than the Disneyfied Thinktank!). Sadly most of it has been demolished with just a small part...
  17. OuterCircleBus

I think that there is something interesting going on to the left of the photograph that the photographer has missed! The dog, the bloke by the cart and the snubbed lady using an umbrella as a sunshade are all looking in the same direction. No wait a minute, there's a policeman over there too! Is...
  18. OuterCircleBus

Probably right Di. I can't imagine yellow plastic grit bins in the 1940s Brum streets. Maybe they put one there to give the trams setting off from the terminus a bit of grip. What we need now are those keepers of great street scenes posting photos of pavements on hills, especially tram routes...
  19. OuterCircleBus

What a great tram photo! It does of course raise a number of questions. The tram is at a terminus, as the passengers are getting on at what appears to be the front as the collector pole is at the other end, so this has yet to be changed round. There is also a Bundy clock. However where is it? It...
  20. OuterCircleBus

If you propped a bike up like that now it would be flattened or knicked. Oh how times have changed!!!
Back