• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Old & Grey

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Don't forget Drucker's in Temple Row.
  2. Old & Grey

It wasn't the Kardomah was it?
  3. Old & Grey

Dogs and food, we had a German Shepperd that we left in the back of our estate car. She had water and the window was open so we thought she would be fine. When we came back she was sitting in the driver's seat looking really pleased with herself. On the floor in front of the back seat was what...
  4. Old & Grey

I used to cook both of them as a chef in Bristol in a French restaurant, beating the steak flat for a Steak Diane always gave me a feeling of satisfaction. I also made the pate for the Tournedos Rossini it was my own recipe and people used to ask me what it was, let's just say that a load of...
  5. Old & Grey

Looking back at it now I'm amazed I survived
  6. Old & Grey

Something else that has come to mind that I still look back and think of as funny and a slap in the face for those involved. A friend of mine and I went into a Chinese restaurant in Needless Alley for a meal. My friend was from Hong Kong, his father was from the UK and his mother was from Hong...
  7. Old & Grey

Sorry, I can't help you there, but on a Tuesday I used to go to a wine bar in Needless Alley have a few glasses of wine, then on to The Burlington for a meal with a G&T to start, then a bottle of wine and to finish a brandy. The up to Snobs to dance the night away drinking Vodka, Tia Maria and...
  8. Old & Grey

Birmingham Cinemas

Our local cinema was refurbished, but it seems that asbestos was found and now it's not going to reopen for some time. Sad really as it's just like one of the old cinemas we grew up with. It's one of the very few cinemas that are allowed to use the old Pearl & Dean logo
  9. Old & Grey

I used to love going to the Burlington Restaurant under the Midland Bank in the Burlington Arcade. You went downstairs and it opened up into a bar and then you went into a long room with a balcony to the right. It was silver service and you sat in the bar until your table was ready. They took...
  10. Old & Grey

It was down an alley on the left-hand side of Broad Street, all most opposite the Towrope Cafe. It was used as a setting for the made for TV series Gangsters.
  11. Old & Grey

Birmingham Cinemas

Used it go there and watch B&W Flash Gordon and Batman shorts.
  12. Old & Grey

Birmingham Cinemas

I used to go out with a driver called Ken delivering films to the cinemas around a wide area of the Midlands down as far as Ross on Wye. Middle of the night dashing out to the cinemas unlocking the doors, dropping off two large film cans, picking up the previous week's films and then dashing...
  13. Old & Grey

It was the Rajdoot at the top end of Albert Street on the left.
  14. Old & Grey

I used to go in there for a meal as I worked just along the street, it was the oldest Indian Restaurant in Brum. The Shah Baaa was not as old and I can't say the food was good. Went there one evening with a friend and we noticed mouse droppings and looked up to see mice wandering around in the...
  15. Old & Grey

16. Old & Grey

P.C. David Green

Thank you for the picture of the plaque I will never forget that night, and I hope it will be placed where there's a large footfall. People need to know just how much our police risk when they walk the streets.
  17. Old & Grey

P.C. David Green

I must have been wrong about who was in command that terrible evening, things happened so fast and as you can imagine knowing who was where was not easy to find out being an outsider as it were. I may have met you as you walked the streets, there were so many of the lads from Steelhouse Lane...
  18. Old & Grey

Rag Market

When I used to go to the Rag both to sell and buy we had tables supplied in the late 60s early 70s. People used to say you don't know when you're well off we had to sell off the floor, but they didn't give me a date.
  19. Old & Grey

1930`s Francis Barnett

I have just run a check on the DVLA and sorry to say there's no record of the Francis Barnett.
  20. Old & Grey

Street furniture

The Number 7 went to Portland Road Edgbaston and the Number 9 went to Quinton as can be seen clearly on the side. I used to catch the 7 to Portland Road it then changed number to 5 back into town and out to Erdington I think.
Back