• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. nijinski

Spitfire at Moira today

hi sue, love to have been there to see that. great photos regards rick
  2. nijinski

Our childhood toys

when i was a child in living in alum rock. the next door neighbour was moving house and she offered me a pair of wooden stilts. i used to play on them for hours every day until they finally broke. great memories
  3. nijinski

Searching for Mary Josephine Harwood

was harwood her maiden name. rick
  4. nijinski

a further note. cyril's middle initial is j. it could be james. food for thought regards rick
  5. nijinski

on wikipedia it has gary pendrey b 09/02/1949. in b'ham. on freebmd it has a garry pendrey born in first quarter to gwendoline wood & cyril pendrey. hope that helps. regards rick
  6. nijinski

Items that have faded away

cine cameras
  7. nijinski

Shops In Ward End & Fox & Goose

Hi kate the parrot rings a bell, if you'll pardon the pun. I used to go up there every week to the record shop at the back of the fox & goose. Regards rick
  8. nijinski

Alum Rock Road Shops

Does any remember the newsagent which was a few or so doors down from wright rd. It was run by an old lady. I'm talking about the 1960s. We used to always get our comics from there. I also remember the greengrocers on the corner of wright rd used to have turkeys hanging up around the shutters at...
  9. nijinski

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Another job you don't see anymore is roadsweepers meaning men sweeping the roads.
  10. nijinski

Another job that doesn't exist anymore (although there's probably a lot of women that will disagree with me) is a "skivvy" or otherwise known as a maid of all work. These women would do all the work in the house for middle class families who couldn't afford more than one servant. They would work...
  11. nijinski

the fire stokers on the steam ferries
  12. nijinski

do lift operators exist anymore, i haven't seen one for years..
  13. nijinski

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

Here's a picture I found on the internet, I don't know if it's been before. A bombing at the bull ring.
  14. nijinski

City Centre Photographs

I've found this photo on the web, don't know if it was shown before. Its a picture of news st after a bombing raid
  15. nijinski

Here's an interesting one. The lamp lighter. The man who went around lighting all the sreet gas lamps. Must have been a monotonous job. Still it was a job and someone had to do it.
  16. nijinski

Dudley Road Hospital -Peter Walker

My mother in law's parents had both died at dudley rd hospital in 1933 & 1935. she said once you go in there you come out in a box. She never wanted to up in that hospital because of that.
  17. nijinski

Brummie sayings & language

I was just saying that about someone yesterday nico. Regards rick
  18. nijinski

Rag Market

I used to look around the second hand and record stalls regular.
  19. nijinski

High Street Deritend Digbeth

Here's a couple more dennis of the flyover from flickr
  20. nijinski

Brummie sayings & language

To be honest podge, i'd only ever heard it from a couple of guys myself in the building trade. Regards rick
Back