• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

Darbys Gravelly Hill Erdington

Does anyone remember the DARBY'S from GRAVELLY HILL, Erdington during the 1940's through to the 1960's. Would love to catch up with family and friends from that era. A couple of names I remember are Billy Kane and Kevin Rumble from Minstead Road, also Warwick Brown from Oval Road. I attended...
  2. A

Bentons

Does anyone remember BENTONS toy shop in Erdington High St. On the right hand side going away from six ways, near the old Roebuck inn I believe. An absolute cornucopia of toys, very little of which I could afford to buy, but always in there looking and wishing. On the rare occasions I had a half...
  3. A

What did you do, own up!!

I'm sure as youngsters we all did things we should not have done, nothing major criminally, but small acts that we regret doing. I'll start with this one. It must have been around 1949/50 ish, I found a ration book in the street, with an address for one of the small roads behind the Salford...
  4. A

Bill Haley and a night club.

During the early 1970's ( think it was) Bill Haley and the Comets appeared at a Birmingham town centre night club, three times over a five week period. My wife and I managed to get to all three shows, and great evenings they were, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the night...
  5. A

Hugh's family

Anyone know the Hugh's family that used to live in a "Court" off Park Lane Aston. Moved on to Sheldon. Children's names, Collette and Raymond. Cannot remember the others.
  6. A

COLLIS Radio & TV

Anyone out there who used to work for "COLLIS" Radio & TV. Wolverhampton and West midlands. I did during the '60's/70's and would love to catch up with others who did.
  7. A

Chocolate factory

Anyone remember the small chocolate factory towards the top end of Station Road, Erdington.? Run by the Cheadle or Cheatle family. I knew the son Eric, if you see this Eric, please get back to me. Ray. D.
  8. A

Erdington Hall School Ryland Road

Anyone looking on this forum that used to go to Ryland Road School, Erdington 1942 to 1952, please get in touch. Would love to re-contact any of my old schoolmates, especially Billy Kane. Others would be Peter Owl, Maurice Carty/Carter, Warwick Brown and others.:friendly_wink:
  9. A

Robinson

Robinson, Dorothy (Dolly, Nee Darby) and Dennis from Erdington. Any descendant's out there, I would love to hear from you. Dolly was my big sister.
  10. A

Burnett

Looking for PETER BURNETT, lived in the big house on the corner of Gravelly Hill and The Mount, Erdington. His brother John (I think) went on to become big with the Dogs for the Blind organisation. Peter and I were school pals and went to Ryland Road School, Erdington. Would love to catch up on...
  11. A

Darby

I am seeking any descendants from Frederick & Elizabeth Darby who lived on Gravelly Hill, Erdington during the first half of the 20th Century. Two daughters May & Dorothy, married into Robinsons and Smiths. I moved to Lincolnshire in 1975, and in the intervening years have lost touch with much...
  12. A

Slade Road Service Garage

This picture was taken in August 1958. I can remember the date clearly because had just been demobbed from the army in June after National Service and went back to my old job at Slade Road Service Station, Slade Road, Erdington. Stayed on for another year after this then changed to a driving job...
Back