• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

Receipts

We never leave a shop without a receipt, its proof of purchase for one thing and has Rosie said you can check if your being over charged.
  2. P

Hay mills area

Was the Government surplus place called Wooten's I seem to remember this place being on the corner of Hay road and Cov road.
  3. P

Hay mills area

I went to Redhill school from 1950 -1955 played football and cricket for the school and yes played in the playground when we could.
  4. P

Hay mills area

Am i right the bus that turned at the half moon area was the 58B. I seem to remember having to get off the bus there and walk up to Redhill road from there when we caught it from town.
  5. P

Hay mills area

Eatonways coaches next to the rec, I mentioned this a few years ago on B'ham history and got shot down in flames. when I was a young 4 5 6 year old we often went on day trips with them and they differently had a base there glad to here someone else remembers this.
  6. P

Hay mills area

I left Hay mills in 1957 I can't remember the cake shop but thats nothing new at my age.
  7. P

Hay mills area

What years are we talking about I can't really remember that one.
  8. P

Hay mills area

Hi don't know whether its the same one but I'm sure there was a cake shop on the corner of Berkley road and the cov road in the 40s and 50s.
  9. P

Bridges over the River Cole

Well its been over 60 years since I have been down to the Hay Barn Rec what a lot of lovely memories these pictures have given me thanks a lot
  10. P

Bridges over the River Cole

Did the same lived in Hay mills till I was 13 mid 50s had great fun following the Cole.
  11. P

Acocks Green

Hi all is my memory right? the building in the foreground on the right was it a toilet block or am I thinking of somewhere else?
  12. P

Sheldon

Hi I think the sports ground was owned by the post office.
  13. P

Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills

As i said I was a year younger than Kenny I did make the team that year ( 2 games ) but my time was the next year. I also played in the Bierton road team once or twice. I also remember playing in the boys brigade team with him. Thats a great photo you have posted I remember a lot of the faces...
  14. P

Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills

Kenny Mole was a year older than me we played football for the school at the same time he was a very good player, not so me.
  15. P

Betting Shops Bookies Bookmaking

Hi reading this thread brought back some memories of my childhood. In the 40s and 50s there was a old woman Mrs Layne we used to call her ( she seemed old to me then ) ran an illegal bookies from her house in Redhill Road Hay Mills. My Dad used to send me with a bet with the money wrapped up in...
  16. P

Hay mills area

A Photo of Redhill Terrace off Arthur Road Hay Mills Don't know when the photo was taken.
  17. P

Hay mills area

Hi Hay Mills is a small area that lies between Yardley and Small Heath.
  18. P

Cottesbrooke Junior And Infant School

My two daughters went to Cottesbrooke from 1973 my eldest Joanne Beetison started in 1973 and the youngest Paula Beetison started 1976, both really enjoyed their time there they both went on to Yardleys secondary.
  19. P

Bob Wilson’s Fun Fair

Hay Mills was regularly visited by Bob Wilsons fair in the late 40s and 50s. It was sited on a plot of land at the end of Shipway road. I think i'm right in saying that Bob Wilson built a mansion on the site sometime in the 60s
  20. P

Old street pics..

Out of all the picture houses in the area tyseley was the real flee pit. We would only go there if the film we wanted to see wasn't being shown anywhere else.
Back