• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. mizzyjo

City Centre Photographs

It's Galloways Corner isn't it? Jo
  2. mizzyjo

City Centre Photographs

Well they didn't have a lot to smile about did they? I feel so sorry for them all when I think of those times. Always cold, always hungry. no fun. My granny was born around that time and I've heard some stories from her!! I love Birmingham history. I love this forum. thank goodness for...
  3. mizzyjo

City Centre Photographs

Thank you for this map Mike. I worked in the Grand Theatre in 1961, when it was offices. My window looks straight into the Old Square and almost completely opposite the Gaumont. The Grand was demolished in 1963 when it was only 80 years old. What a waste!!!
  4. mizzyjo

Galloways Corner

Christ Church on its original site, before it was Galloways Corner. I had a granny baptised here!
  5. mizzyjo

Love Lane

Thank you for your help pjm, could you tell me where I could buy a Kelly's directory? Thanks, Jo
  6. mizzyjo

Love Lane

I meant, thank you all!! xxx
  7. mizzyjo

Love Lane

Thank you both so much for replying! My g uncle was a 'hinge maker' on the census so this makes perfect sense. I have now traced his daily journey from his home in New Summer Lane to Love Lane! Isn't it lovely to have a site like this we can call into and meet such historians? Thank you...
  8. mizzyjo

Love Lane

Does anyone have any idea where Love Lane was situated, I believe it was Duddeston or Aston way? Just discovered today that a g g uncle died at the Swan Works in 1901!! It would be lovely if someone had a picture. Thanks!!! xxx
  9. mizzyjo

See Birmingham by Post Card

I thought the same RobT
  10. mizzyjo

Lost streets of birmingham

My mom was born in 2/4 Willis Street
  11. mizzyjo

Marston Green & Tile Cross

It all seems so peaceful and calm doesn't it? I wonder if those feelings will ever come back?
  12. mizzyjo

Lea village secondary modern girls' school

I was there a little earlier Wakaman. We had to make our own uniform in needlework, which consisted of a red and white striped, short sleeved blouse and grey A line skirts! I hope that helps. Our needlework teacher was Miss Mills and by the time we had finished the blouse, it was too small...
  13. mizzyjo

See Birmingham by Post Card

Wow!!! Thanks for that Master Brummie!!! I've just sent it whizzing around the world!! xx
  14. mizzyjo

Can Anyone Tidy This Photo Up Please If Possible

Try Grant Kemp on Facebook!
  15. mizzyjo

Barn Street Aston

Thank you for taking the trouble Mike. I just haven't been able to place Maria anywhere before 1902. xx
  16. mizzyjo

Barn Street Aston

Thankyou for that Shera, that is probably my tree you were looking at. I couldn't find Maria in 1901 but my great grandfather Joseph was still with my grandmother who died the same year. I just can't find Maria anywhere before 02. x
  17. mizzyjo

Barn Street Aston

Lady Linda, I don't know where you get your fantastic information from but could you possibly find my great grandfather Joseph Savage who was living with his new wife Maria Sweet at 1 Court, 2 House, Barn Street, in 1902? I would be so grateful xxx:love_heart:
  18. mizzyjo

Ridpool Road Schools Lea Village Girls Secondary Modern

Please, please, please, could everyone repost their photo's!!! I come from a large family from Kitts Green Road and we all went to Ridpool Road and Lea Village School. Not one photo between all of us but I think that is because we were very poor and probably couldn't afford them. Our school...
  19. mizzyjo

Ridpool Road Schools Lea Village Girls Secondary Modern

I remember when it was raining Mr Waite would tell us to make sure we ran between the spots!! It always made me laugh!
Back