• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. superdad3

Street View on Google Maps

I don't know if forum members generally know ..............but I didn't until today! On checking a road in Hall Green I noticed via a box in the top LH corner that there were 8 different street views at different dates. Also checked a main road near us and there were 15 views for dates from...
  2. superdad3

Woodbridge Road, Moseley

This is Woodbridge Road in Moseley about 1905. I don't think it's been posted before. Classic Edwardian street scene. The Trafalgar Hotel is on the right. Building still there but renamed the Patrick Kavanagh. I do wish they would leave pub names alone - 100 years of history changed! The tall...
  3. superdad3

Billesley Common Airfield

Early aviation in Birmingham started with the founding of the Birmingham Aero Club in 1909. In 1911 they moved to a field on Billesley Farm. While researching the Prosser family of St Agnes Road, Moseley, I discovered that young Edwin Prosser was an early member of the Birmingham Aero Club and...
  4. superdad3

MAYPOLE WORKS

This building is on the corner of Maypole Lane/Highters Heath Lane B14. The picture shows the front [office block etc] - the factory is to the rear and wasquite substantial. My wife who lived near the Maypole said that it was known locally [1950s] as the Eiderdown Factory. We still have...
  5. superdad3

Libraries at Risk

I know Birmingham [BCC] is in financial meltdown but have just read the proposals for community libraries. The council plans to turn 11 of the existing 36 venues [ie community libraries] into joint 'library and neighbourhood advice service hubs' - putting the other 25 under threat. That leaves...
  6. superdad3

Flora Original

And another bites the dust.................... We have long enjoyed the taste of Flora Original on Bun Loaf [aka fruit loaf] and similar. Just like butter. Can't remember how long it has been around but a long time. Anyone remember? Bought some last week. Still labelled original but it isn't...
  7. superdad3

Boundaries

Boundaries; random thoughts The changes to city boundaries has been touched on in many posts over the years. I got interested in this topic when researching the Wake Green estate which is the area around St Agnes Church, Moseley. The map below sums up the growth of Birmingham [apols. if it has...
  8. superdad3

Birmingham's other Matthew Boulton

The Wake Green Estate in Moseley [centred around St Agnes Church] was owned in the early 1800s by one Joseph Dyott [hence Dyott Road] a brush manufacturer with premises in Bradford Street. The estate was bounded by Billesley Lane, Wake Green Road, Stoney Lane [now Yardley Wood Rd.] and what is...
  9. superdad3

Llewellyn Ryland, Haden St., Balsall Heath

For a few months I have been driving down Moseley Road to Highgate and have been intrigued by the tall, obviously old, chimney stack towering over Haden Street. I made a detour today to see what it was. It's sited in the middle of the factory complex of Llewellyn Ryland Ltd. which is a very old...
  10. superdad3

Not what they used to be......

As well as a lot of good old products vanishing from the shelves, it disappoints me how many traditional products have been "bought" up by big companies and immediately altered for the worse. HP Sauce was never the same after taken over by the dutch - darker & doesn't taste the same. Brillo Pads...
  11. superdad3

Vyse Street Banksy art

Came across this on the bbc news website; banksy art in the Jewellery Quarter: sadly quickly vandalised.
  12. superdad3

Batman' Butler!

Famous People of Birmingham: Alan William Napier-Clavering (1903-1988) Alan Napier, as he was known, was an English actor who was born in "Kings Norton" [actually Harborne where he spent his childhood]. He was related to Neville Chamberlain & the Kenrick family. He trained at the Royal Academy...
  13. superdad3

Luker's Bakery

Hi, has anyone got any information about Luker's Bakery that used to be in Woodbridge Road, Moseley? or any photographs of the shop? Would help me with the Moseley Churchyard Project/Luker Family. Many thanks
  14. superdad3

Canadian Ex-servicemens Association - Birmingham Branch

I was given a box of old books on Birmingham a while ago & among them was this framed certificate of authorisation for the Birmingham Branch of the Canadian Ex-Servicemens Association. Nothing on google -. Anyone know anything about them? It's a lovely hand drawn item and clearly very old. Next...
Back