• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. superdad3

Holy Trinity Church Bordesley.

Hi Lyn, Yes, there is an Oldknow Road in Smallheath. Some of my wifes relatives used to live there in the 1940/50s. and it was called after the vicar. Oldknow Road B10 Commemorates Dr Joseph Oldknow, Birmingham’s first High-Church Anglican, vicar of Holy Trinity, Camp Hill 1841 [Bill...
  2. superdad3

Long been interested in Holy Trinity because of my wife's ancestors association with it. Just read through forum posts on it [132 - well did skip a few!]. Hope folks don't mind comments on some old posts: #58. I think I read one of the vicars from there went missing and was never found, I'm...
  3. superdad3

Moseley Village

We worshipped at St Agnes Church together at a time when it was very much a local community church. Your father and I both served on the P.C.C. together and usually saw things the same way. I remember my wife lending Fred a high chair and playpen for visiting grandchildren [perhaps your...
  4. superdad3

Moseley Village

Used to know Fred Parsons [another barrister] slightly who lived in St Agnes Rd - did he perhaps buy the house off your family? Have researched the Victorian/Edwardian history of the road and yes - interesting houses and some very interesting people living there. You may have already read this...
  5. superdad3

Conybere Street Highgate

Really pleased that phots were enjoyed. Just a few more to complete post - all from St Albans Parish Magazine. Vaughton Street in 1956, just before demolition Centre: St Alban’s Church; top: St Martin’s Flats in the block between Vaughton St, Leopold St, Dymoke St and Angelina St St...
  6. superdad3

Save Birmingham

Agree with everything you say. Eleven libraries would not provide any realistic service for Birmingham residents. The geographical spread of libraries bears no resemblance to constituency boundaries but then it's a political decision. Even the eleven libraries left will be sharing premises with...
  7. superdad3

Save Birmingham

When I saw this, I couldn't believe my eyes. I hope even BCC will throw this out but have no confidence in BCC looking at their record re listed buildings. Apart from anything else, it will look ugly & silly.
  8. superdad3

Sadly, this is quite typical of what can happen to a "closed" churchyard. My wifes family had long associations with the church and some of her relatives were buried there and I think it is an absolute disgrace that the small section of the graveyard at the front of the church is in the state...
  9. superdad3

Conybere Street Highgate

I attend St Albans Church in Conybere Street and they have just reprinted two articles originally written by Jim Whitehouse [1901-1990] in the parish magazine in 1984 entitled,, "A Few Memories of Life And Conditions In S. Alban’s Parish Seventy–Five Years Ago". Just brilliant but too long to...
  10. superdad3

Save Birmingham

Quote from report re changes to library provision: With regard to EIA00355, overall, the potential impact is believed to be positive, in that the co–location of the council’s resources, into a minimum of 11 Libraries - 'Community Living Room' concepts, increases the NAIS footprint across the...
  11. superdad3

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Just browing on the 1861 Census in Aston and at 15 St James Place came across Hannah White who was a Mangle Woman.
  12. superdad3

Street View on Google Maps

I don't know if forum members generally know ..............but I didn't until today! On checking a road in Hall Green I noticed via a box in the top LH corner that there were 8 different street views at different dates. Also checked a main road near us and there were 15 views for dates from...
  13. superdad3

Derelict factory on York Road, HALL GREEN, Birmingham

Thanks folk for clarifying. I for one got mixed up between the two sites and decided to research further. Notes are on the Roll Royce site only and not the power station site. 1899: Hunphries & Dawes set up in Birmingham as cycle manufacturers, c1911: H & D started production of two-stroke...
  14. superdad3

Derelict factory on York Road, HALL GREEN, Birmingham

See also lots of info on Forum under Velocette factories. Enthusiasts can read up [lots of phots] at https://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-velocette-factory-looking-through.htm Here's a location map from the site. Factory long gone and houses occupy the site. On the extreme right of the...
  15. superdad3

Sarehole Mill

Sarehole Mill: rough timeline Middle Ages: Sarehole Hall [=Sarehole Farm?] was the property of Maxstoke Priory [near Coleshill]. 1542: Rebuilt on same site. Early 18C: Owned by Eaves family of Sarehole Hall. In 1721 it was sold to John Taylor the joint founder of...
  16. superdad3

Moseley Village

Yes. Here's a screenshot to clarify but Salibury Buildings continues further around the corner,
  17. superdad3

Moseley Village

Salisbury Buildings, Moseley Village This is the large building curving around the corner by the traffic lights. In the 19th century the site was the the terminus for the horse trams with a loop around the village green for return to city centre. In 1906 the site was cleared...
  18. superdad3

pink hearts valentines day how remove ?

And my calendar too. St Valentine [Saint & Martyr] was the patron saint of love, beekeepers, epileptics, travellers, engaged couples and happy marriages. A far cry from the present day commercialization of his feast day.
  19. superdad3

Billesley Common Airfield

The airshow lasted two weeks - August 11-27th. My wife tells me that we went but sadly I have no recollection. There was also a fly past by a Lancaster according to "Billesley and Surrounds".
Back