• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. mrspooner

costermonger pub

I used the Costa mid 70's until mid 80's. 4 pints of Double Diamond £1 and a great jukebox.
  2. mrspooner

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

I remember your name,
  3. mrspooner

Sacred Heart Catholic School Witton Road

5 of us went to Marsh Hill Grammer in '71 and got the same treatment, I was friends with Joe Gallagher and his brother Desmond, he didn't play for the Blues.
  4. mrspooner

Sacred Heart St Margaret Mary Aston

I was baptised there and had my confirmation there.
  5. mrspooner

does anyone recognise someone in this pic of my mum and her work mates?

Hi, I started at Linreads in '76, the lady third from the left looks like Betty Barnes but I would think that this photo is more likely from the 60's looking at the lady's hair style second from the right.
  6. mrspooner

Mansfield Road

Hi, it looks to me to be the top end as you approch Birchfield Road, if you look at the rooftops on the righthand side at the far end you can just about see the rooftop of the church that is oppsosite the juction with Albert Road.
  7. mrspooner

The White Horse Cellars - Constitution Hill

Enjoyed many drinks before and after shifts whilst working at Linreads at this pub until the company relocated, Friday night "lock ins" were a bonus !!
  8. mrspooner

Cox Street

I worked on Cox Street from 1976 until 1985 when the company I worked for (Linread Ltd) relocated across the Jewelery Quarter to Pitsford Street.
  9. mrspooner

Barr Beacon

On Sunday there were several hundred people around the memorial attending the annual "Bands on Beacon" event, still no excuses though.
  10. mrspooner

Hostaria Wine Bar

I used to go to The Great American Disaster a lot, I remember going in to town one night for a meal there only to find a "Closed Down" sign on the door.
  11. mrspooner

Chip shops in witton rd

I remember the chippy by Mansfield Road well, ran by 2 middle aged ladies, stopped going there when the "Greek" chippy opened further down Witton Road on the opposite side just after the junction with Trinity Road, I guess that would have been in the early 70's.
  12. mrspooner

Aston Manor Transport Museum

I too remember it being used by Ansells, it later bacame know as Stumps where it was used for indoor cricket.
  13. mrspooner

Barr Beacon

More fencing gone up as of Tuesday 04/09
  14. mrspooner

Barr Beacon

It's mrspooner !! No problem.
  15. mrspooner

Barr Beacon

How it looked Monday 03/09
  16. mrspooner

Barr Beacon

Security fencing and scaffolding erected today, looks like the restoration is about to begin :)
  17. mrspooner

costermonger pub

I remember the shuffle puck game, so your brains not going off just yet !! The jukebox was also one of the best around if you liked proper music (Rock) !!
  18. mrspooner

costermonger pub

I started dinking in there 76/77 on Friday nights, 4 pint of Double Diamond for a pound, those were the days, heaven't been there since the mid eighties.
  19. mrspooner

Barr Beacon

How about just punishing people when they commit a crime.....not with a slap on the wrist like we do now....
  20. mrspooner

Lozells working mens club

I used to play snooker in there back in the late 70's early 80's when I lived in Aston.
Back