• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

A. H. Bayes & Co and Archibald Kenrick

Hi Jayell. I knew she was a professional singer around the Midlands before she married. She must have caught Archibald's eye but I didn't know she sang in the choir. She had been a student at the Royal Academy of Music in 1861. I remember passing the Church of the Messiah, since demolished, in...
  2. D

Hello Jayell. I am sorry but I missed your post about Emily Purdie. I have just received a photo of a young Archibald, Emily's husband, (attached) from Martin J Kenrick who is organising his uncle's old photos. I don't think he would mind me sharing it. I have more information about Emily and...
  3. D

First image is our man. Last 3 Images are scanned from the book, Kenricks in Hardware by R.A.. Church Hi Wendy. My sister now lives in the house where Archibald and Sylvia Kenrick lived. During renovations, she discovered a forgotten box of about 50 old photographic glass plates, behind a...
  4. D

Hi. I am researching Archibald Kenrick 1875-1955, and his sister Sylvia, who lived in Fountain Road, Edgbaston . They were first cousins to Neville Chamberlain, via their Aunt Florence, Joseph Chamberlain's second wife and grandchildren of Timothy Kenrick of Archibald Kenrick and Sons, West...
  5. D

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

https://www.search.connectinghistories.org.uk/engine/resource/exhibition/sequential/default.asp?txtKeywords=&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&x1=&y1=&x2=&y2=&scale=&theme=89&album=&viewpage=%2Fengine%2Fresource%2Fexhibition%2Fsequential%2...
  6. D

Hagley Road fountain

Thanks so much for that, Lloyd and a great picture, too. Do you know which year it was taken? I know motor buses were run on the Hagley Road for a short time between around 1904-7, but then sold as too unreliable and they went back to horse-drawn buses until 1912. I think it was the Birmingham...
  7. D

Hagley Road fountain

On closer reading, the post from Astonian must be describing St Augustine's, as the Church of the Redeemer was actually on the corner of Hagley Road itself. Whether it was the same fountain, moved to St Augustine's, I just don't know. I have just found a sentence in Showells Dictionary of...
  8. D

Hagley Road fountain

Hi Rosie. I was thinking that Astonian was probably referring to St Augustine's church. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Augustine's_Church,_Edgbaston but it could be the Church of the Redeemer which used to stand in Wyndham Road, which is a bit nearer the city centre. (see here...
  9. D

Hagley Road fountain

Hi Astonian. Thanks for your reply. Can you give a bit more precise information on the exact location you are talking about, please. Fountain Road is a couple of hundred yards further east along the Hagley Road, towards the city centre, and I don't know of a church ever being there, though I...
  10. D

Hagley Road fountain

Hello. I am trying to find information about the large fountain that once stood at the junction of Hagley Road and Sandon Road. I found a couple of ophotographs at...
Back