• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Watery Lane

The greengrocers was on the opposite side of Kingston Hill to the Barrel. The shop next door to the Barrel on Kingston Hill was occupied by Mr Shepherd I can't say if he was married to the lady or if they were brother and sister, what I remember was when we were kids we used buy our sticks of...
  2. J

Watery Lane

I have been watching the Peaky Blinders and as you say it is set around the areas you mentioned including Adderley Street. It is obvious they could not film in those areas now due to the update of that area, so as I understand it is filmed partly in Leeds and partly in the Black Country Museum.
  3. J

Watery Lane

Sheri, I lived in Watery Lane for a short while, during the 2nd WW, and we live above the greengrocers shop opposite the Barrell Pub. The greengrocers and the Pub stood on the junction of Watery Lane, Kingston Hill, and Adderley Street. With regards to the schools around that area they were...
  4. J

Liverpool Street, Deritend.

Brock, I don't have any photo's of Liverpool Street but I remember the place well as I used to live in Lower Trinity St when I was in my school years and we all played in the area covering :- L/trinity St, Adderly St, Allcock St, etc; If you go onto Google Maps and zoom into Liverpool St...
  5. J

Watery Lane

hI The aforementioned images have now been replaced
  6. J

Watery Lane

I have just come across your quote as above and was interested in one name you mentioned "Griffiths" I live for a short time in Watery Lane during the war years and later moved to Lower Trinity St Deritend I used to know Bobby Griffiths who also lived in Watery La , we went to the same school I...
  7. J

St Giles Church Digbeth

8. J

St Giles Church Digbeth

Thanks EXTRAHZX your info was very interesting especially with regards to the Italian connection. My original enquiry was for St Giles Bordesley but I have since found out that I had got the name wrong and it should have been St Gabriels do you have any info
  9. J

St Giles Church Digbeth

mikejee, again thanks for the info you sent and the map. I have look on Google Earth and the site shown on the map you sent is still there and looks like it may be allotments now. John
  10. J

St Giles Church Digbeth

Shortie thanks for your info I did know of St John's as I was once A choir memeber of St Basil's & St John's in Heathmill Lane whenr the 2 churches were amalgamated after St John's was destroyed I now believe that the ST GILES that I was looking for came under Bordesley
  11. J

St Giles Church Digbeth

Thanks mikejee, I now believe you were rightand that it was Bordesley. Do you know exactly where it was situated?
  12. J

St Giles Church Digbeth

Anyone know of St Giles Church which I understand used to be in Digbeth or Deritend area of Birmingham Also where would the best place to sort for weddings performed at that church which I believe was destroyed possibly during the war
  13. J

Where is This? 140

It was the Angel drinking fountain that used to be ajacent to St Phillips Cathedral grounds John J Pegg
  14. J

Peggs in Bham.

As one of the Pegg's of Bham I wonder if there is anyway that I can help with your quest and maybe you may have some informatin that may prove to be useful to myself. I was born in Winson Green (John James) in 1935 my father was Alfred William and mother was Maria they were married in Aston and...
Back