• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

Gordon Street

Astoness, the pic does indeed show Mr Browns garden. I took the photo way back in the early 60s. I lived at 23 Gordon St, the Brown family lived above at no 21. Mr Brown had the back garden whilst my parents had the front garden. The houses that can be seen are in Artillery St. The one with the...
  2. R

Field Ambulance, Field Dressing Station

Pedrocut, many thanks for the info. It clears up a conversation I have been involved in with my older brother.
  3. R

Field Ambulance, Field Dressing Station

Not sure whether this is the correct place to post this request but I will give it a go. In 1947 the Territorial Army was undergoing change, as part of this, Birmingham was tasked with recruiting 2 Field Force Units for the Royal Army medical Corps, in particular a Field Ambulance and a Field...
  4. R

Italians in Birmingham

Yes, William was there son. My late wife's father was Williams half brother, Florence Kate marrying again in 1917. Sadly over the years those who may have information on Louige have either passed away or simply lost touch with other family members. Still I will keep plugging away and who knows...
  5. R

Italians in Birmingham

My late wife's paternal grandmother (Florence Kate Mathews) was married to an Italian, Louige Saragine. In the 1911 census they lived in Lower Trinity Street. Louiges occupation was shown as ice cream vendor with Florence Kate shown as assisting in the business. Unfortunately, apart from that...
  6. R

Gordon Street

In addition to Robert & Joan Green, there was also an Arthur T Green who lived at 98 Wolseley Street. Reading through your last post, it bought back memories of myself & my late wife during our courting days (mid to late1960s), I lived in Gordon Street, she in Artillery Street. There was indeed...
  7. R

Doctors

Hi Jennym, Mildred Coles (or Millie as she was known) was my wifes Fathers (Albert Coles) Sister. Unfortunately my wife, Margaret passed away in January this year, but at the interment of her ashes at our local church last week attended by Alberts two other children, Bryan & Susan, mention was...
  8. R

Gordon Street

That could explain why the name Payne did not register with me. I do however remember the Pointon's, Skinners, Newsome's and Shirley Hunt. In fact Alan Pointon taught me to tie a Windsor Knot in my tie when I was in my early teens, I thought I was the cats whiskers when I managed it successfully...
  9. R

Gordon Street

I have just remembered that I did take another photo from the house in Artillery Street looking back towards where I lived, unfortunately I never actually got the house in, what can be seen in this photo is the door to no 29 Gordon Street (to the left of centre, right of street light) this...
  10. R

Gordon Street

Ours was the downstairs maisonette. We left around 1966/67. I do not recall the Paynes, No 21 was occupied by another family the whole time we lived in Gordon Street.
  11. R

Gordon Street

Thanks. If it helps any, I lived at 23 Gordon Street, if you look at the map showing house numbers ours was in a block of 4.
  12. R

Gordon Street

I actually took this photo, it was taken from the back of the house I lived in (Gordon Street) from the early 50s until early 60s. The X marks the house my girlfriend (my wife for over 50 years now) lived in. This was in Artillery Street.
  13. R

Midland Templars AFL

MikeJee Thanks for the prompt reply to my query, given the age group of the players mentioned in the article it looks as though the R. Turner whose name appears on the back of the medallion could have been my wifes late Uncle's younger Brother.
  14. R

Midland Templars AFL

I recently came across a "medallion" belonging to my wife's late Uncle, I just wondered whether anyone has any information on "Midland Templars AFL". On the back it says Midland Templars League Div 3. Runners Up 1950-51. R Turner.
  15. R

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

This is a long shot, (very long) but I have just discovered posts such as this one and in particular post no 138 dating from August 16th 2011. This last one had two att. 70216 and 70217, presumably photos of the football team, looking through the posts the names of the team members hold memories...
  16. R

Birmingham Lighting Department

Reading through the comments re. Birmingham Lighting Dept. reminded me that I have a map dated August 1889 showing the area in the City to be lit by the Birmingham Electric Supply Company Ltd. With ref. to who was/is responsible for st lighting, certainly when I worked for Midlands Electricity...
  17. R

C & A Modes Corporation street

Many thanks for all the replies, it would appear that the pic. I was referring to concerned the opening of the "new" store, this must have been just one of many "new" openings for C&A over the years. The att. shows the pic that I mentioned in my previous message.
  18. R

C & A Modes Corporation street

Does anyone know the date in 1971 that C&A opened in Birmingham. I have found a picture of it opening with crowds rushing in and lo and behold my wifes late Mother is there. The picture is in the Birmingham Mail (on line) along with other pics of stores that were in Birmingham. Reddi
  19. R

Rialto Cinema

It is always good to know that Members can come up with answers to questions raised in the various forums as shown above. I now have the names of possible film titles to research and pics of the Cinema. Many thanks. Reddi
  20. R

Doctors

All, thanks for the replies. Going by what John said, I think that the building now houses a Dental practice. Reddi
Back