• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Sun ray treament

At least us girls were allowed to keep our vests on....:)
  2. P

Shenstone Road "open Air" School

Yes Shaun1, ... but also I remember the little sand pit outside and the concrete 'wendy house at the back of the school by the bicycle shed.... No idea why there was a bicycle shed as I dont remember any bikes in there!!!
  3. P

Ooo Iv just gone onto Amazon and bought myself a copy of the Birmingham Open air school book 'A Breath of Fresh Air' ... so il look forward to looking through that when it arrives... thanks for the information Trebor...
  4. P

Hi Shaun1 ... the school was only a little one with just 2 classrooms it was like a huge corridor really... with the hall at one end and the staff room & bathroom at the other with the classrooms inbetween... in the first class there was a huge blackboard on one wall which I oftened loved to...
  5. P

Nazareth House

I remember Sister Magdolane (not sure of correct spelling either!) she was elderly and kind. I have a picture of her when I went with the Nuns and children on holiday to Cliftonville... apparently they went there every year.
  6. P

Nazareth House

Hi Houchens Head... I have just noticed your ost... and I sure do remember Sister 'Allo-wish-us'... ( Icarnt spell either!!)... when I was there working with her I always found her to be very nice... I did miss her when they packed her off to Scotland!! ... Bless she gave me her special china...
  7. P

Nazareth House

WoW Tony you have been busy researching havnt you... well done .... the house was always known as Nazarath House when I was there... I was there on placement from my collage course in about 1976... then after collage was given a job there... but I left to marry in 1978... so was only there a...
  8. P

Sunday School

I only went to Sunday school once!..... I remember sitting in a group of same aged children... I must have been about 5 or 6 at the time.... and each in turn was telling of how they happily gave their 'hearts' to Jesus...... I became so terrified that someone was going to reach down and take my...
  9. P

Nazareth House

Thanks MIke... I 'tweeked' them as best I could with what little I have on my puta... as they had really faded... its odd because I have other photos but mostly of the children at Cofton park.. all taken at the same time... yet they havent faded??... Yes the two on the swing are more or less the...
  10. P

Sun ray treament

Its amazing what folks put us through back then... would not even be considered today would it!!!.... but I suppose they thought they were doing it for our best interests.....
  11. P

Sun ray treament

Ohh WoW... plenty of us Goggle wearers about then... heheh... I remember going... think I only went twice... I ended up with an allergic reaction to the goggles!! they had great big rubber rings around them... & I ended up with huge rash circles around my eyes the next day!! .. I remember having...
  12. P

Nazareth House

Hi there Tony... well here you are I found more than I thought Id got... I have had to adjust the pictures as unfortunately they had faded somewhat.. so hope they are ok?.. also just to be on the save side I have had to block the children's faces as I don't have their permission to post them...
  13. P

Nazareth House

Hi Tony... I was on the 4th floor.... l only remember I had charge of 4 little boys... two were twins.. not identical ... I often wonder what happened to some of the children... As far as I heard after I left it stopped being a children home and it was a home for the elderly... then I heard...
  14. P

Mary Vale Road

My friend was there around the 60' onwards... I will check what number they were think it may have been around 70?? I believe... Regards Angie x
  15. P

Mary Vale Road

Hohoho.... too true Phil.... shame... but sooo true...
  16. P

Mary Vale Road

Could be about that time... Mary Vale road was a very very long road... yes.. defiantly the 'top' end... as the road leading off is Selly Oak road... sure brings back many memories of High school in Bournville... Angie x
  17. P

Mary Vale Road

That is a great picture would you know the year it was taken??... it looks like the 'top' of Mary Vale road to me??... I had a friend who lived in Mary Vale road Bournville .. we both went to Dame Elizabeth Cadburys school and often walked through Cadburys factory in what was called 'The bird...
  18. P

Nazareth House

Hi .. I used to work at Nazareth House which was run by The Poor Sisters of Nazareth, I was only there maby a year or so... I worked on the top floor (4th I think) around 1976/77 ish... I often had to take 4 young children for a walk every day up to the Lickey Hills... or Cofton park.. I...
  19. P

Bournville Schools

I did not go to Bournville Infants and Juniors but I did do to Dame Elizabeth Cadburys school just down the road from there & some of my friends when to the Juniour school.. Regards Angie x
  20. P

Hi there... I too went to Bognor Regis ... I carnt remember the name of the house but I do remember I had a great time there... & I remember writing postcards to send home & the 'shed/barn... whatever we did some work in ... Goodness that has brought back some memories!!! Angie xxx
Back