• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

The Garrison Pub

I think many people have wondered why they didn't use the real Garrison Pub when the TV series was made, as it seems to be an obvious thing to do. Maybe the approvals process was too daunting for the TV bods to bother with. Did the council explain why they would refuse permission for the pub...
  2. M

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thanks for looking Terry, Sadly no-one within the direct family has any info; & I've no idea whether anybody in extended family would have his medals - can't think why or how they woud acquire them. Thanks for trying anyway - it was just a faint hope there might be something. Regards, Millie
  3. M

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Hello Terry, I've been reading through this thread off and on, and it seems you have been able to help quite a few people - so, I wondered if you could help me too. Do you by chance have anything in your records about a William Howell, my granddad. The only thing I know about his WW1...
  4. M

'The Gangs of Birmingham' - (The Peaky Blinders)

I'm wondering who Churchill might want him to bump off ..... Can't wait to find out
  5. M

Matthew Boulton memorial, Westminster Abbey

Thanks for this information - quite a good summary of Boulton's 'doings'. I think you were right first time - gold, very gold! I think it now looks a bit tacky & glitzy, but I dare say it will weather again in time. I did prefer the old bronze/green version
  6. M

Bull Ring until 1920s

Like many others, I don't do facebook, or twitter, or any of those othere similar boards, so I rely on BHF for my info & catch-ups. I really enjoy browsing through the photos on here, don't post much mainly because there's plenty people here know far more than me about most things, & I don't...
  7. M

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Hi midlands, From the information that you give, it appears that Hannah was buried in the St Saviour graveyard. I had a look around & can't find any listing of the burial plots there. You could try asking the church helpdesk here: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/help/ There is some...
  8. M

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Thanks very much for this info Brian - very helpful. I'll follow up on the website & the email to see what I can find out. cheers, Millie
  9. M

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Hi folks, Today I found some references for several people that I believe - hope - are my rellies. Can anybody tell me whether Section P has individual graves, or public graves, or a mixture of both. I plan to visit sometime soon to take a look & photos if I can. Also would Section B contain...
  10. M

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Certainly seems like it - maybe they just screwed a pay rise (or an extra tea break) out of the old gas works behind them; praps the bloke is the union steward, coz he seems to be the only one there. I remember those white boots though, thought I was the bees knees with them on; but they were...
  11. M

The workhouse programme ITV Jan2014

Thanks for that Terry, I meant to watch it but got tied up with some jobs & forgot the time. Glad to know it's worth seeing on the catch up, coz several of my folks ended up in a workhouse. Millie
  12. M

Hardy Spicers Ltd

I've just come across this thread and wonder if any of you folks have any more info about life at Hardy Spicers, particularly the heat treatment section. My dad worked there for most of his life. He worked nights, in the furnace shop, as he called it. That's about all I know, being a kid I...
  13. M

Wright's Rope Works

Hi Astonian, Thanks for this info; Emily must have been some amazing lady, I'm sure I must have met her in my time there, but I was so shy of everybody then, I was too nervous to take much in. I worked for Gerard in the export dept. and sometimes had to go the comp girls to ask them to do calcs...
  14. M

Kemp Family

SandraF - just seen this thread, I haven't done much work yet on this family, but I wonder, do you by any chance have a John or Albert Kemp in your family tree ? I have an Albert Kemp, married 1906, age 25, living in Witton St. (so born abt. 1881). HIs father was John Kemp, a grinder. No...
  15. M

The black eagle meet up

Me as well please :excited: Millie :)
  16. M

Water meters

I had a meter fitted about 3 yrs ago; don't know how much I've saved as haven't compared with the standard rates, but assume it must be cheaper - even though i also have a long 'dead leg' before the hot water gets through. But for the first 2 years the meter was not read - I had estimated...
  17. M

At last my project is finished!

Just seen this Wendy - want to add my congrats to you for all your hard work. A great achievement - amongst so much destruction that was wreaked in Key Hill. Millie
  18. M

The Stags Head 13th Feb 2010

Just want to add my thanks to Lyn for organising a great meet-up, to Wendy for the raffles and keeping things going; and to Hilary and family for making me so welcome; the atmosphere was great and I had a chance to put a few names to some faces. The spread was lovely - and very good value ...
  19. M

Tilton Road School

Haven't been able to get back to the site for a few days - great to catch up on the memories. I don't know how to do the quote/multiple quote thing, so hope I can answer all the questions. Fatfingers - the holm photo is grand - , sorry it doesn't show both sides of the road, but it brings...
  20. M

birmingham accent,good or bad

I agree with the concerns about the way some people speak nowadays. Having an accent is nothing to do with speaking correctly, they are not the same thing, though some seem to think they are. We see the laziness with speech more and more often, & I think it is laziness, or not caring. When I...
Back