• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Bierton Road School - Demolition

3pm outside the school Sunday 20th November 2011. The Birmingham Mail will be there to take a photo of ex pupils. The school closed in 1985. Birmingham City Council have yet to give permission to go inside the school because part of it is still occupied by Council Staff and their records...
  2. L

Bierton Road Junior and Infants School

Hi, there are lots of pictures on the friends reunited website, including recent reunions. Recently I set off to find Vic Carmichael's grave (Headmaster in the 60's) located near Tenbury Wells. I also tracked down his daughter in the same area who was very pleased to talk about her dad. Vic...
  3. L

Thanks for the memory jog. Much appreciated. Just a note about Vic Carmichael, Headmaster. He had three sons and one daughter. Vic retired early at the age of 60 because he got fed up of the Education Committee at Birmingham City Council telling him how to run the school. He bought a small...
  4. L

Just unearthed a Bierton Road school newspaper dated 1964. The teachers listed were: Mr Carmichael (Head), Mr Garrett (Dep Head), Mrs Blake (Snr Mistress), Mr Agar, Mr Boardman, Mr Conacher, Mr James, Mr Roberts, Mr Wallers, Mrs Harrison, Miss Mills, Miss Whitaker, Mrs Williams, Mr Ashen, Mr...
  5. L

bierton road school tyardly

I attended this school when it was a Secondary Modern in the early 1960's. I too would love to know where all the team photos etc in the main corridor on the ground floor have gone to. I hope they were not chucked when the school closed (early 1990's I think). If you gleen any information...
  6. L

Greenway Street, Small Heath

It's great when it all comes together. The shop owners were as you say May and George Brown and they had one child called Yvonne. Yvonne and I went to dancing school every Sunday morning opposite the Sacred Heart Church between Small Heath and Hay Mills. Yvonne had some lovely frocks and when...
  7. L

No. 6 sounds about right. As you turned into the street the shop was on the left opposite the Oxford Pub and Fruit & Veg premises. The shop had a customer front door, but if the family needed to access the "back door", you had to turn left into the first terrace. The back door was really a...
  8. L

The street name was mis-spelt by a previous member, I just did reply with history. I knew I was in the right street because the history was correct. I lived in a row of three terraced houses. The fourth house was bombed during the war, i.e. the bomb site. The third terraced house next to the...
  9. L

Bishopsgate Street

I think the Kings Arms may be right. Will ask my Mum tomorrow.
  10. L

Kingston Hill Park

1949 to 1960 - Kingston Hill/Road Park had a roundabout, a row of swings, a pumper and a witches hat to play on. From there you walked up some steps to a higher level where there was a hard surface playing pitch and the "parkies brick hut". Those were the days when you could drink from a water...
  11. L

Bishopsgate Street

My Dad (Alf Bennett DOB 1925) was born opposite the leather handbag factory where the lady is standing in the archway. His mum (Elizabeth nee Summerfield) lived with her mum (Maria Livingstone) in the Court to the rear of the house. I know its a long time ago but does anyone remember them...
  12. L

From 1949 to 1960 I lived in one of the terraces off Greenway Street. A back to back house, with two blocks of four toilets each to serve the whole terrace!! In the streets and on the bomb sites we played hopscotch, statutes, tracking, rollerskates (metal wheels), skipping, marbles etc...
  13. L

From the 50's to the 60's - I attended Bierton Road Secondary School between 1961 and 1966. Initially the school was split with the boys one end and the girls the other. Around 1963 the school was mixed and Ian Carmichael became the Headmaster. He was a short man with a dream to make a...
  14. L

Small Heath Street Map

I have some very old OS maps of Greenway Street, Small Heath. When I retire in October 2009 I will take some time out to look for you. Send me a reminder.
  15. L

WW1 Street Memorials & Rolls of Honour

We lived in Mount Terrace off Greenway Street from 1948 to 1959. My Mum remembers a Memorial on the wall of one of the houses. When half of the street was demolished and Stopped Up, I cannot imagine anyone destroying it. Perhaps Birmingham City Council would have knowledge of it since they...
Back