• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Phil B

Perrott Street, Winson Green

Hello JDC, .....here's a part tree showing your parents and grandparents, Harold and William both have their mother's surname as Hodgkiss not Hoskins.
  2. Phil B

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

Hi Anne, what a worthwhile project. I haven't read every thread on this topic and I'm not sure who qualifies to be mentioned on/in the Aston Parish memorial. I have a few relatives from Aston/Winson Green/Hockley who paid the ultimate price in both WWI and WWI (10 in total) and I was wondering...
  3. Phil B

Was it Cuddesdon? If it was there must be a connection somewhere along the way. Phil
  4. Phil B

Thanks again Mark for the map, Merry Christmas Phil
  5. Phil B

What's MW stand for? Phil
  6. Phil B

A bit of a coincidence? Half brother's Samuel and Harold's father was Samuel from Oxford and his father was also a Samuel. Too many Samuels to keep track of. Phil
  7. Phil B

So, I'm I right to assume your name is Simmonds? Any relation to a Samuel or Harold?
  8. Phil B

I'm always searching this part of the world as I was born in Park Road, Hockley, I wish I had "scanned" more streets also. I'm intrigued when you said my Great Uncle's name is "spelt correctly". Why is this worthy of note? Phil
  9. Phil B

Thanks MWS, this is exactly what I was looking for. I assume it's a map you already had because 'Oldmaps' is now closed, or do you still have access? Phil
  10. Phil B

Can anyone (Mike) pin-point number 1 Perrott Street with a street plan, please? Now oldmaps is no longer accessible I'm having trouble finding an alternative map website. I'm trying to find the house where my Great Uncle Samuel Simmonds lived. He later lived at 26 Perrott Street when he married...
  11. Phil B

Those Who Served...

?
  12. Phil B

10th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1918

Janice, I think he was the only one killed on that day, probably by a sniper, if you look at the WD next day another soldier is killed in the same way.
  13. Phil B

Thanks Janice, I've found the war diary where it mentions my Great Uncle by name, it is unusual to see a Private recorded this way. To think one of those soldiers shown in the film could be him. A map is required to identify the trench IND.1.a. Thanks again Phil
  14. Phil B

To all, I'm researching my Great Uncle George Sanford who served with the 10th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment, service number 8537. He was killed in action on the 23rd October 1915. He was born 21st May 1896, the son of Fred and Mary Ann Sanford, of 19, Kent St. North, Lodge Rd...
  15. Phil B

Aston Union Workhouse

Hi Trob, welcome to the forum and sorry for your loss. My Uncle Harold was from Winson Green not Deritend, I think you have the wrong Harold Webb. Have you any more information about him or his mother Gertrude Harley Webb to establish if this is the same person? I haven't found any one with a...
  16. Phil B

WW1 Look up for Charles William Page

Hi Suzanne, Thanks for this. You did give me the other listings before on a previous post. It was just the other two numbers that I needed confirming. Thanks again Phil
  17. Phil B

WW1 Look up for Charles William Page

Hi Suzanne, I know this an old thread but I was wondering if you could double check for me this information you found either on the Electoral Rolls or Absent voters list for my Grandfather. The 497357 number you gave me apparently belongs to a Henry Hunt 1/13 Batt. London Regt and not Charles...
  18. Phil B

Park Road Hockley

Sad indeed. My parents married in 1942 and moved to Park Road in that year. They both worked at Rabones, just down the road at the Abbey Works.
  19. Phil B

Park Road Hockley

Hi Carolina, What's the date of the article? When I lived at 2/214 those living at 216 were Gordon Parr and his mother Mrs. Parr, I forget her first name. The memory that stands out for me about Mrs Parr is she would make Egg Custard, in a cup, for anyone who was ill. Cheers Phil
  20. Phil B

Park Road Hockley

Thanks Mike!:) Phil
Back