• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Old Boy

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Hi Mohawk, I wonder if this was mainly men going to the dog track at Perry Barr. It was not very popular with women in those days. A good photograph anyway. Old Boy
  2. Old Boy

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

Dear Lyn, Thank you for making an old man happy. I was a sergeant at the Lane in the 1960s. It was an important part of my career and indeed my life. It was a shame that the ceremony was so poorly attended but I suppose that we must blame the weather and also the fact that the...
  3. Old Boy

War Memorial Ww2 Henry Joseph Silverman

Hi Cassy, Apart from the Hall of Memory there is no complete list of war casualties in Birmingham. However there are many places, especially churches, where memorials have been erected in memory of local people. In any case I doubt if it would have more information than the Hall of Memory...
  4. Old Boy

Pubs Of The Past

Hi Mindy, My eldest daughter, Kate, was born in Heathfield Maternity Hospital in October 1951. I remember wetting her head in company with my father in law in the well named Stork Pub. He seemed more excited than I was. Well, at least he bought all the beer. Old Boy
  5. Old Boy

St Martin's Circus & Manzoni Gardens

Hi Viv, The gardens were well used as a route from the Bull Ring to the main part of town, New Street, Corporation Street etc. It was a pleasant place to sit and rest if your shopping had tired you out. At night it became a haven for vagrants. Old Boy
  6. Old Boy

A Seventies Childhood.....

Hi All, One out. One in.. Keeping the numbers equal. Old Boy
  7. Old Boy

H.P Sauce Birmingham

Oo0h!! That must have hurt. Poor Parker, Old Boy
  8. Old Boy

The police museum birmingham

Hi All, I have to inform you,with deep regret, that Dave Cross, former curator of the police museum, passed away on 13th December 2016 after a long ilness.. Dave was a member of this Forum but he kept his head down as he feared that he would be inundated with requests that he could not deal...
  9. Old Boy

The Demise of Cricket

Hi Big Gee, The match in 1946 was, and still is, a record crowd for Villa Park. It was not a semi final as all such matches were played on neutral grounds. It was, in fact, a sixth round match in the FA Cup. Now that grounds are all seating I doubt that it will ever be exceeded. I have stopped...
  10. Old Boy

Police Horses

Thank you Joe - Chris Beresford
  11. Old Boy

Canals of Birmingham

Hi, I do not understand this. Are you saying that there is a canal connection between Birmingham and Liverpool? Old Boy
  12. Old Boy

Police Horses

Hi Joe, Could you have a look at the photo in Post 77 and give us your opinion. I think it was certainly the police inspection but more likely in the fifties. I think the chap in charge is the late, much respected, Chief Inspector Jim Reid. I am fairly sure that he retired before...
  13. Old Boy

Stretton Road Aston

Hi Jo, Standing with your back to tubes the newsagents were definitely on the left. I am not sure but I think the building onn the right corner was an ordinary house. The off licence mentioned in an earlier post by Astonian was on the corner of Chester Street with Rocky Lane. Old Boy
  14. Old Boy

Premises History

Welcome Jo. I lived in Stretton Road from my marriage in March 1950 until November 1954. Throughout that time it was a paper shop Chris Beresford (Old Boy)
  15. Old Boy

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Hi All, I have heard it said that the Black Country is so called because it was described as that by Queen Victoria on a train journey through it. I wonder if it was this journey to Wolverhampton? Old Boy
  16. Old Boy

Summer Lane

Hi All, The Crocodile Works was actually Ralph Martindale & Co Ltd. If I remember right they made Machettes and similar items. Old Boy
  17. Old Boy

Favourite Bus

Hi All. My favourite was the 39 bus - It took me away from Villa Park. Old Boy
  18. Old Boy

Where To Apply For Service Records

Lyn, The Chindits did not exist before WW2. They were a special group and fought behind the lines in Northern Burma during 1943-1944. Their commander was Major General Orde Wingate. Chris Beresford (Old Boy)
  19. Old Boy

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Hi Alan, We should not assume that all old property was council owned. In fact it was because of the state of private rented property that the council decided to start building council houses. Now, because of the policy of selling council houses, the rental market is predominantly...
  20. Old Boy

Bradford street

Hi All, I have been corrected. It was probably the Buccaneer. As Lyn says the Cedar Club was elsewhere. Age does affect the memory. Now, who am I? I think I remember. Old Boy
Back