• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Howell Alfred Thomas b 1893

I`m trying to find out more about my great-uncle Alfred Thomas Howell who was born probably in the Harborne area in 1893 and baptised in Upton Warren 13/7/1893. In the family he was known as "Alf" but in some records he seems to be recorded as Thomas Alfred. In 1911 he was living with his...
  2. J

325 Albert Road, Aston

could anyone give me more information about this address - where my grandparents lived during the WW1? I have tried googling it but it looks like that end of Albert Road no longer exists Thanks
  3. J

Bennett Selina (nee Knowles)

I`m struggling to find out what happened to Selina Bennett (Knowles) who was born about 1827 in Birmingham. She married John Bennett in 1848. In 1871 they are in Warstone Lane, Richmond Terrace. In 1881 John is in Birmingham Workhouse and described as a widower but I can`t find a death for...
  4. J

Cecil Road electoral roll

Does anyone have access for the electoral roll for 99 Cecil Road between 1931 and 1939? My widowed grandmother Jane Hayden lived there with my mum and aunt, and I`m trying to find out if there were anymore adults living there
  5. J

"Assayer" "Sweep and bullion"

On the 1911 census my grandfather (William Henry Lyles Hayden) is described as an assayer working in the "Sweep and Bullion" industry. I have previously been told that he was involved in extracting precious metals from waste and my mother remembered him working in a foundry. Have I got that...
  6. J

What does the Service Number mean

My grandfather was in the 15th Battalion Royal Warwicks - also known as the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. His service number was 537. What does that actually mean in terms of when he enlisted? Was he the 537th man to enlist in that particular battalion?
  7. J

Rubber Works Aston

In 1911 my gt-grandfather was working as a curer at the "Rubber Works, Aston" Could anyone give me more information about this? At the time he lived in Apna Place, Cato Street, Saltley
  8. J

burial after suicide?

I am trying to find out more about my grandmother`s step-father who I believe took his own life in 1944. As this was still classed as an illegal act at that time, would it have affected where he was buried? His wife was buried in Witton Cemetery
  9. J

Possible suicide - Update

My father remembered being told that his mother`s step-father had taken his own life during WW2. His name was Albert Fletcher and I have found a possible death for him on FreeBMD for June 1944 in Sutton Coldfield. The listed age is right. The last known address I have for him was on the...
  10. J

Witton Cemetery grave query

I have recently contacted Witton Cemetery for information about my Grandfather`s grave. They have given me the plot number - "Section 71; grave number 14412". They have also said "this is a private grave Grant No. 11061" Please can anyone tell me what the "Grant Number" is? Many thanks...
  11. J

Witton Cemetery possibly

My mother`s father William Henry Lyles Hayden died in Kings Norton 18/10/1929. We think he was buried in Witton Cemetery - he was a Quaker and so was not buried in a church graveyard. Sadly my mother is no longer alive so I cannot ask her. I would like to know for sure where he is buried and...
  12. J

Fletcher - Wainwright Street

This is a bit complicated so I hope I can explain it clearly! My Gt-Grandma`s married name was Elizabeth Boardman and in 1891 she was living in Lower Mitton (Stourport). But between 1891 & 1898 Mr Boardman left the family and Elizabeth began a relationship with Albert Fletcher, and in January...
  13. J

Ring of Bells, Aston

I`ve just found out that one of our ancestors Henry Sketchley Williams was made bankrupt in 1880 and he is described as a beer retailer at The Ring Of Bells, Aston. I wonder if anyone knows anything about this pub. Thanks Jane
  14. J

Dayman, John

I`m trying to find out where John Dayman (born 1899) and his wife Josephine Marguerite (born 1893) lived. They were married in Leics. in 1899, but their eldest child and all following children were born in Birmingham - starting in 1920. John died in Birmingham in 1971 after which Josephine...
  15. J

Birmingham baptism 1848

Help Please! I have just received the birth certificate for Julia Hall who was born 25/10/1848 in Hill Street Birmingham (sub-district St Philips). According to this her parents are William Hall (plasterer) and Matilda Simmons. I believe she was their eldest child. However, on the 1851...
  16. J

Lozells House

We have ancestors who lived in Lozells House, Lozells Road, Aston in 1851 and 1861 - I`m just wondering if this house still exists or if anyone can tell me anything more about it Regards Jane
  17. J

Birmingham or Aston?

I`m trying to find out about the death of Thomas Wallis but I could do with some more info before I send for the certificate. He was born about 1816 & lived in Great King Street in 1861 & his widow was still there in 1871. There are 2 possible deaths in 1862 - one Jan/Mar in Birmingham...
  18. J

Handsworth deaths

We have 2 ancestors who died at around the same time and I`m wondering if I can find out more without sending for the death certificates. They are John Hunt who died Jan/Mar 1933 in Birmingham district, age 86 & his wife Sarah Ann Elizabeth Hunt who died in the same period age 84. They lived...
  19. J

John Sketchley Williams, Lozells Road Aston

I`m hoping to find out more about John Sketchley Williams who lived in Lozells Road between 1841 and his death in March 1871. In 1851 & 61 he is listed as a Bankers clerk but by the time his mother Elizabeth died in 1868 he is calling himself a `Gentleman`. According to the Probate Calendar...
  20. J

Marriage by licence or banns?

Please can anyone explain why a couple would choose to be married by licence rather than by banns? I thought that a licence was used if it was outside of the couple`s own parish but am now looking at one for 1760 where the bride is definitely from that parish & the groom is from the...
Back