• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Howell Alfred Thomas b 1893

Thanks Alberta. I think I saw "s" next to Frederick`s name and thought it meant "son". I presume it actually meant "single"?
  2. J

Thankyou. I had seen the 1939 entry and noticed Frederick Parsons. I think he is listed as their son but I`ve no idea who he is. I don`t think Georgina was a widow when she married Thomas/Alf
  3. J

I`m trying to find out more about my great-uncle Alfred Thomas Howell who was born probably in the Harborne area in 1893 and baptised in Upton Warren 13/7/1893. In the family he was known as "Alf" but in some records he seems to be recorded as Thomas Alfred. In 1911 he was living with his...
  4. J

325 Albert Road, Aston

Thanks very much - I had wondered if they were back-to-backs but they look a lot better than that
  5. J

325 Albert Road, Aston

could anyone give me more information about this address - where my grandparents lived during the WW1? I have tried googling it but it looks like that end of Albert Road no longer exists Thanks
  6. J

Bennett Selina (nee Knowles)

I`m struggling to find out what happened to Selina Bennett (Knowles) who was born about 1827 in Birmingham. She married John Bennett in 1848. In 1871 they are in Warstone Lane, Richmond Terrace. In 1881 John is in Birmingham Workhouse and described as a widower but I can`t find a death for...
  7. J

Paddington Street Aston

Before they married my grandparents lived near to each other in Paddington Street in 1901. From the description on the census I think this was an area of back-to-backs. Is that correct? I suspect they met at the local Quaker Friends Meeting House. I know they later attended the Meeting House in...
  8. J

Cecil Road electoral roll

thanks very much Janice. Yes you are right Dorothy did marry Reg Rose and my grandmother lived with them after my mum Joan left home to get married.
  9. J

thanks Janice, I didn`t know that. Shortly after the War the house was passed on to my parents so you might find them - Joan and Edward Howell
  10. J

thankyou Mike. Sometime between 1939 and 1947 she lived at 16 Southwold Avenue, Kings Norton. Is it possible to find out when she was there?
  11. J

Does anyone have access for the electoral roll for 99 Cecil Road between 1931 and 1939? My widowed grandmother Jane Hayden lived there with my mum and aunt, and I`m trying to find out if there were anymore adults living there
  12. J

"Assayer" "Sweep and bullion"

Yes, their first daughter died from meningitis when she was only 2 and I think that devastated them both for a long time. Maybe that is another reason why he didn`t want to be away from home
  13. J

"Assayer" "Sweep and bullion"

On the 1911 census my grandfather (William Henry Lyles Hayden) is described as an assayer working in the "Sweep and Bullion" industry. I have previously been told that he was involved in extracting precious metals from waste and my mother remembered him working in a foundry. Have I got that...
  14. J

What does the Service Number mean

My grandfather was in the 15th Battalion Royal Warwicks - also known as the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. His service number was 537. What does that actually mean in terms of when he enlisted? Was he the 537th man to enlist in that particular battalion?
  15. J

Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour

I`m afraid I have given up on reading the war diary. As Janice mentioned, only officers are mentioned by name. I think Birmingham Library might have a copy of the Book of Honour. Does anyone know if they would do research on my behalf? I am not able to visit
  16. J

Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour

I`ve now managed to find and download the War Diary for the 15th Battalion from the National Archives so I will wade through that and see if I can find anything about him
  17. J

Possible suicide - Update

Well, I have got the death certificate and it is rather sad reading. It says that Albert died 12 June 1944 at Sutton Coldfield hospital. Cause of death being "Shock due to multiple inuries caused by throwing himself from a railway bridge. Suicide while the balance of his mind was disturbed" It...
  18. J

Possible suicide - Update

Gosh - you`re all amazing! Yes, you have found the right man. My parents were Edward L Howell and Joan Hayden. I have sent for Albert`s death certificate so will let you know if I find out more. Albert and his wife had a complicated history. He was 14 years younger than her and I think started...
  19. J

Rubber Works Aston

Thankyou everyone, that`s all very interesting. He actually died in1922 from liver cancer. I wonder if being in contact with all of those chemicals had anything to do with it. Just out of interest, does that building still exist? Is it what I have heard called "Fort Dunlop"?
  20. J

Rubber Works Aston

In 1911 my gt-grandfather was working as a curer at the "Rubber Works, Aston" Could anyone give me more information about this? At the time he lived in Apna Place, Cato Street, Saltley
Back