• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Stechford Road Junior School

Am I right in thinking that is Mr Jones standing with the team.
  2. S

Stechford Road Junior School

I must be somewhere on that photo, although my eyesight isn't what it was. Remember Mt Kesterton well.
  3. S

Gas Holders in Birmingham

We could see the Nechells ones from our bedroom window in Hodge Hill Also had a good view of the cooling towers , although from ground level you would never have known they were there.
  4. S

How Aston Villa won, and lost the FA cup in the same year.

I have that drawing (or at least a copy of it) The cup replacement was designed & engraved by my grandfather William Norman who was chief designer & engraver for Fattorini & sons in Bradford, In the 1930s he moved with them to Birmingham to premises in the Jewellery Quarter,. My mother was born...
  5. S

sayings

Don't know if it's exclusively Brummie, but when you were miserable, you "looked like you'd lost a ten bob note & found a gas bill"
  6. S

C & A Modes Corporation street

If I remember correctly, it was ClockHouse rather than Clockwork
  7. S

Lewis's Christmas Fun

Not forgetting Uncle Holly & queuing for what seemed like hours on the staircase to the grotto at the top of the shop. Those days are long gone.
  8. S

A Good Read

Sounds interesting. I will look out for it. Marion
  9. S

Percival Royle Peers 1874....1952

Thanks very much to everyone who has posted info. This man was only a distant cousin, so I don't really want to go to the expense of buying certs etc. I was just curious to know how he died, especially as he left a will which I wouldn't have expected. As you say Old Boy, it was probably natural...
  10. S

Thanks for that info Bewdley. The coroner's report is probably not available as it is fairly recent, but I am hoping there is a newspaper report on the inquest which will say how he died. Marion
  11. S

Thanks for that info Alberta
  12. S

Please could someone look up a coroner's report on the death of this man. He was apparently last seen alive on 23rd Jan 1952 & found dead on the 29th Jan. The last address I can find for him is 6 back 198 St Stephens St in 1950. He doesn't appear to have married & as far as I can tell he was an...
  13. S

Windows 10

Same for me. I got a message on Sunday to say that a Windows update was taking place. Logged in on Monday morning expecting problems, but so far, all OK. Daren't say too much just in case.
  14. S

Telephone Dialing Systems Exchange codes

My Gran had a phone in the early 50s. In order to get a Brownie badge, we had to make a call from a public phone box, so I rang my Gran. The exchange was EAS. she lived in Ward End.
  15. S

Windows 10

There apparently was another update to Win 10 this morning. I was happily watching TV when the sound disappeared again. Only got the laptop back last Friday after the previous sound loss I can watch TV on my tablet, but can't use Skype for which I have a subscription which runs out tomorrow. I...
  16. S

Cannon Hill Park

I remember being taken to this event several years running, but have a recollection of also being taken to a dog show. I'm not even sure that it was held in Cannon Hill Park. Maybe it was a part of the Tulip Festival, but I just can't remember. Well it was 60 years ago.
  17. S

Windows 10

I'm not a happy bunny. I have no IT skills whatsoever. I bought a new Acer laptop a few weeks ago but noticed after a couple of weeks that it was running very slow and doing several odd things. Took it back to the retailer and they rang me a couple of days later to say that it had been totally...
  18. S

Library Of Birmingham 2013

What is the point of having a state of the art,grossly expensive white elephant of an asset, just because you have the money to fund it, then decide that you can´t afford the running costs. I wouldn´t buy a propety with 30 rooms, standing in 2 acres of land, even if I had the capital if I was...
  19. S

Personally. I always found the staff both in the Local History section & the Archives extremely helpful & the facilities in the old library user friendly (with the possible exception of access to the archives via the spiral staircase & the months when the escalators were out of action) While I...
  20. S

I honestly can´t see how this is progress. I haven´t lived in England for 10 years, but when I did, I used the old library at least once every week. Sometimes I would be looking for something specific & other times, just browsing. How can you do that if you have to order in advance? Most of the...
Back