• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

Prefabs

We used it as a coal shed when we moved in in 1950.
  2. R

Prefabs

We loved our prefab at the Valley. Lived there for nearly 12 years
  3. R

The Valley pub, Billesley

We lived in one of the prefabs, no 845. Then we moved to Haunch Lane in 1960 cos we were tld the prefabs were going to be demolished. They were but not for another 12 years!
  4. R

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Yes, Digbeth Civic Hall was good. Saw the Pretty Things there a few times.
  5. R

Prefabs

No, today everyone wants at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with central heating and a conservatory
  6. R

Neale and Bates family Handsworth

I was christened there at the end of 1944. We lived at 180 Hamstead Road
  7. R

Prefabs

They were a brilliant design. No one these days seems able to come up with such clever but simple ideas. We lived in one of the Valley prefabs on Yardley Wood Road for 10 years.
  8. R

If your Dad was Vic he used to cross us over Y Wd Rd on our way home from school. Mom always bought her meat there.
  9. R

Isn't it interesting that we all loved our prefabs. Would we still enjoy living in them now, I wonder, when we've got used to having central heating, double glazing, fitted carpets, etc etc? I think I would.
  10. R

Great Lister Street and surrounding streets.

And does anyone know where catherine o'Shea's sweet shop was somewhere near by? She died in 1960.
  11. R

Me in the back garden and Mom and Dad in the front doorway of the prefab
  12. R

We moved out in March 1960. Had 10 happy years there.
  13. R

I remember Mrs Trevis in the last prefab by the turning circle. She had a big buddleia in the garden and I used to go and watch the butterflies. I remember there being 2 children next door but I didn't play outside the garden or house very much at first. I would have been 5, so in between the...
  14. R

It will have been my Mom, she was a very kind lady, and I do remember your Mom's name, Stella Boodle! I must have met you very early in our time there. Hello again.
  15. R

There was, Mr & Mrs Janes and children, Mrs Price, Alice Gilkes with Mrs Webb, VIolet and Danny Withey, Mr Collins, Mrs Jeffcott, Alan Downes, the Langfords (Brian), John Carter. I'm 76 and can't remember the score in Birmingham City's last game on Saturday!
  16. R

Yes, the Morelands still lived there for several years. Mrs Moreland had a mktorbike, I think, one of those 2 stroke things.
  17. R

I thought I didn't recognise the name. We must have moved in as you were moving out!
  18. R

We lived at number 845, 3rd pair down from Haunch Lane, between 1950 and1960. Which one was yours?
  19. R

High Street, Saltley

With reference to the groups in posts 78 and 79, my grandparents, Albert and Elizabeth Wiltshire could have been there. Lizzie died in 1918 and Albert in 1927. They lived at 6 Corfield Terrace. I think Albert frequented the Tilt Hammer.
  20. R

Prefabs

Ours was built on the edge of Billesley Common, the Valley prefabs
Back