• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. BordesleyExile

Castle Site Near Camden St

Thats new to me, Carolina. Thank you for posting. By "west of Aston" does this mean the moated manor house or a site further out?
  2. BordesleyExile

The Great Stone Northfield

Thank you, Mike. So thats a third date!
  3. BordesleyExile

Thank you, Ladylinda. I wonder where the information on build date came from originally?
  4. BordesleyExile

A postcard of the Great Stone & also mention of a Freiendly Society run from the pub in 1837.
  5. BordesleyExile

Whilst British Listed Buildings describe the Great Stone Inn at Church Lane as "18C added to" other writers describe it as being rather older. Does anyone know the age of the brick rebuild? I am just curious. There was a book / booklet / pamphlet / article published specificaly on the Great...
  6. BordesleyExile

Castle Site Near Camden St

Thank you for both investigating & sharing with us, Mike. There are so many references to there having been a castle in the Hockley area that I always considered that there must be some basis in fact. Shirley
  7. BordesleyExile

Copyright Of Cookie273uk Paintings

What a gentleman you are, Eric. Shirley
  8. BordesleyExile

Moor End Lane, Erdington

Xanadu 123 Poplar Cottage Moor End Lane is listed as late 18C with later addition & still stands today.
  9. BordesleyExile

Courtyards and yards of brum

Excellent thread, Lyn.
  10. BordesleyExile

The Clements Arms Upper Trinity St

Thank you both, Jennyann & Mike. Those early cabs (short for cabriolet) used in Pugh's time look quite alarming & I do wonder how safe the drivers were, especially on Birmingham's roads. The size of the cabs fits with the limited space available next to the Clements Arms in Pugh's era.
  11. BordesleyExile

I have looked without success for pictures of early Victorian cabs. All I can find so far are views of coaches, but it would be reasonable to suppose that given the Pugh's limited premises the family were in the business of hiring out smaller vehicles, perhaps for local trips.
  12. BordesleyExile

Yes, Lyn, I recognise that there was traffic along that route, but its difficult to accept that it would have been enough to justify a pub being built there back in 1835 to capitalise on travellers' needs so close to Birmingham, Deritend & Digbeth & I doubt that the area was built up enough to...
  13. BordesleyExile

Thank you for posting the Clements Arms history posters, Lyn. It is good to fill in so much more detail. I do disagree with the statement made on the poster that the Clements existed in 1835, as the pub as not shown on the 1839 map in an earlier post. Pehaps William Pugh merely lived in the area...
  14. BordesleyExile

Thats the first time I have come across call buttons in a pub, Lyn. I wish I had known that they were there when I visited the place.
  15. BordesleyExile

Thank you so much for taking & sharing these photos of the interior of the Clements Arms, Lyn. They really show what character this pub has & how it is worth a visit. There must be a reason that you took a photo of the lounge bench. Is there a story there?
  16. BordesleyExile

Fox and Grapes - Digbeth

So pleased that you are involved, Lyn.
  17. BordesleyExile

Absolutely right, Michael. That is an animal pound & I was fascinated by it as a child. I cannot think of another old pound in Birmingham. Shirley
  18. BordesleyExile

Here is a postcard showing the Great Stone:
  19. BordesleyExile

Arthur Lockwood made an ink drawing of the Great Stone at Northfield: https://www.bmagic.org.uk/objects/1995V171/images/138539
  20. BordesleyExile

Another picture of the Clements Arms showing the isolation of the building.
Back