• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. silhouette53

Camera / Photographic shops

I became a grandfather back in March of last year and, naturally enough, have been taking rather more photographs on my little digital compact than I normally would since then !! I was quite 'into' photography years ago and had quite a bit of 35mm gear languishing at the back of the wardrobe so...
  2. silhouette53

Shakespeare Express

OK, everyone ( I guess ) must be aware of this service which runs from Snow Hill to Stratford and back each Sunday from July to September - been on it myself a few times but once you're on a train it really doesn't matter whats pulling it really !! I do love to go and watch it come back into...
  3. silhouette53

'Sun Cap'

Does anyone remember these drinks which i used to buy from the little shop in my street back in the 50s/60s ? It was an orange drink called 'Suncap' and was in a glass bottle same as the school milk came in. It had a foil cap same as the old milk bottles. Memory fades with time and I cant...
  4. silhouette53

Village Maid

Anyone out there have a photo of the Village Maid pub which was in Finch Road Lozells next to the Baines Bakery ?
  5. silhouette53

Alma Street Junior & Infants

Did anyone attend the above school at all ? I started there age 5 in 1958 and left in January 65- Hardly any photos seem to exist of the school and if anyone has any, or indeed any memories of the school and its teachers I'd be VERY happy to see/hear them !! I remember the Headmaster - Mr...
  6. silhouette53

Another gem

When my eldest daughter Trisha was 3 ( she's almost 26 now) I returned home from the city centre one day with some books I'd bought from Hudsons - as I was taking them from the bag she came and watched me, her little face just able to peer over the table top. "What are those daddy ?" she asked...
  7. silhouette53

Lozells Road Co-op

Its me again - the William Street kid !! LOL Actually I'm over the moon because Lyn ( Astoness ) very kindly hunted down some amazing photos of William Street Lozells for me ( I was born there in 1953 ) and I never thought I would find any. Turns out that we began Alma St infants at the same...
  8. silhouette53

Eager for photos . . .

I would be really grateful for ANY photos of the following pubs : Gough Arms William St, Lozells Manor Tavern Clifford St Weymouth Arms Corner of Gerrard St / Guildford St The Scotch House Whitehead St Thanks Colin
  9. silhouette53

Book: Steaming into Birmingham by Coleman & Rajczonek

Can I suggest a really excellent book for all those of you who might have more than a passing interest in the railways of yesteryear ? It is called STEAMING INTO BIRMINGHAM AND THE WEST MIDLANDS by Richard Coleman and John Rajczonek. It is absolutely great and has tons of really good photos...
  10. silhouette53

Royal Victoria Cross

On the corner of William Street and Gower Street, Lozells was a building which, in the 50s and 60s I remember being a factory of sorts - coppersmiths I think - there were always big containers of acid in the yard. Looking at a photograph which turned up of it last week, there is wording clearly...
  11. silhouette53

Bespoke Tailoring

Remember the good old days when people were actually measured for a suit which would then FIT them?? Off the peg was ok but lets face it, it was very hit and miss. Of course tailor made was only for the wealthy or those on a modest income who wisely chose not to squander money on Beer...
  12. silhouette53

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

I seem to remember having spent many hours in total as a child, waiting outside various public houses ! Born and raised in William Street, Lozells, here are some I recall : The Gough Arms This was actually in my street, just a couple of doors away The Royal Oak, Lozells Road The Weymouth...
  13. silhouette53

HAIRCUT !!

I guess this is in the right forum as it is a barbers shop I'm 'on about' Anyone remember the barber shop in Gerrard Street near Furnace lane ?  It was run by a man named Albert Marshall and I would be taken there for my 'short back & sides' as a child in the late fifties / early...
  14. silhouette53

Back-to-back Houses

I'm proud of the fact that I grew up in a 'back to back' house with an outside lavatory ( yes, it had squares of newspaper on a nail behind the door ! ) and a 'brewus'.  I have such happy memories of my formative years - I wouldn't change it for 'all the tea in China' I could ramble on for...
  15. silhouette53

H V Powell

Lots of people will remember the cycle dealer H V Powell.  His shop was on Birchfield Road, just past Six Ways on the out of city side.  He had a plywood cut-out of a man Iin the window pedalling a bike with a sign saying ( if my memory serves me well ) "HEART DISEASE KILLS _ PEDAL FOR...
  16. silhouette53

Harold Juggins Studio Lozells Road

Does anyone remember the photographers Harold Juggins of Lozells Road ? I think he had a place somewhere else too. The attached photo is that of my parents wedding group taken in the Juggins studio in 1942. They were married at St Pauls Church Lozells Road. My father was Thomas Surman and my...
Back