• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

Constructors of Nickel Works Ltd Tyburn Road

Having seen this building many times in photos. I always thought it to be very modern looking construction for the time it was built.
  2. N

Paget Rd School Pype Hayes

Most likely happened on the 23rd/24th August 1940. When over 200 german bombers attacked the Fort Dunlop factory. Mentioned in the below under 'Raids on British cities' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain I went to Paget school 86-88 and remember the gap in the housing. There was...
  3. N

Dunlop

The brick works 1937. Soon to be a new housing estate.
  4. N

Dunlop

There does seem to be other utility markers there now, but the the intials are strangely similar to the Dunlop name.
  5. N

Dunlop

Yes that's it you can see it and the map confirms the same location. I knew there had to be one around there.
  6. N

Dunlop

Could be some form of Boundary marker.
  7. N

Dunlop

That might be, perfect spot for it, no expert but looks a little small. Just remembered there is another winding hole just past the Tyburn House pub which is only a 1 mile round trip. Anyone have any ideas about post 152 and what it is?
  8. N

Dunlop

Well that foot bridge is no longer there. The Holly Lane road bridge 'Brace Factory Bridge' was also rebuilt some time after the workers was ferried by boat. Page 4 of this thread shows a brick bridge, its now concrete. I have searched why that bridge was named Brace Factory Bridge without...
  9. N

Dunlop

The canal was used to ferry workers, the only current winding hole is a 4 mile round trip past the Fort Dunlop allowing the boats to make the return trip. While this could have been used, there might have been another. Tried the search engine without luck, was hoping someone more savvy might...
  10. N

Dunlop

Does anyone know if there are old canal maps. There must have been a winding hole in the canal near the Fort Dunlop allowing the barges to turn and change direction. This has now gone and was just curious where it actually was.
  11. N

Dunlop

Land marker, 'this belongs too' or entrance sign. Is it by the West/East drive entrance? I'm amazed it's still there when the rest has gone. That concrete and tarmac are newer, so workers have worked around it at some point.
  12. N

Curzon Street Railway Station

Right, so a Compulsory Purchase Order then but with the name changed.
  13. N

If they are not Compulsory Purchase Orders how has property been forcibly transferred to HS2 Ltd from owners who do not want their property transferred from them, what law was used?
  14. N

Horses on the canals

When Spaghetti Junction was being built above the Birmingham & Fazeley canal around 1970, they had to allow horse traffic along the tow path while it was being built. There is a documetary and the chief engineer/architect mentions it in amazement.
  15. N

I assume you mean all compulsory purchase orders have been issued. My post you quoted was just saying there was no need to burn a building down. The government does not need to do that.
  16. N

If the land was needed for HS2 the government would have just issued a compulsory purchase order. Quiet surprising really the pub is right outside the stations doors, I would have thought they might have knocked it down just to make the space more open.
  17. N

The value of the land and business has all ready gone through the roof, so if the owner gets bored waiting they can cash their chips to someone willing to wait. They won't cancel. To far ahead, all land purchased, compensation paid. There is a massive hotel down the road from Curzon street...
  18. N

The Woodman pub outside this station is going to really well once HS2 is complete. My mother and father used to drink in it in the early 70's.
  19. N

Worcester & Birmingham Canal in winter

Just curious how you was able to identify the year.
  20. N

Magnet Fishing!

Thinking about metal detecting made me think about the 'Staffordshire Hoard'. Largest amount of Saxon gold ever found, checking Google, Birmingham museum purchased it for £3.2 million and has it on display. The finder and land owner farmer split the money apparently. There is a documentary...
Back