• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. H

The White Hart, Latimer St. South.

Anyone got any information or photographs of this Public House? My Great Uncle,William Hopkins,was living there in the 1881 Census.Strangely his profession is listed as a Plasterer not a Publican.Did pubs take whole familys of lodgers in those days? His family numbered seven in total. William...
  2. H

Newey Bros. Ltd.

I'm researching my family tree and wonder if anyone has any info. on Newey Bros. factory which was situated on the corner of Brearley St. and Summer Lane? They manufactured hair grips and pins.My father Ken Hopkins worked there for many years from the 40s to the 70s.My elder brother Mike was an...
  3. H

William Hopkins

I'm trying to find an entry around 1900 for my Great Uncles building contrator firm.I've found his home address in Elvetham Rd, Edgbaston, on the 1901 Census. I'd like to find out what ever happened to the firm,but do'nt know where to start.Can anyone help? Could my Great Uncles sons have been...
  4. H

Davenports

My Grandmother worked at the Davenports brewery around the 1920's.She lived in Chequers Walk just around the corner,and her job was a bottle labeller. Is there any staff records in existence for this period? I struggling to find any information about my Grandparents,and would appreciate any...
  5. H

Gun Quarter

Thanks Di and Pomogolian.Cromwell has certainly blown my admittedly very preliminary research out of the water! Fascinating stuff on the fighting Mortons. My Grandfather,John Morton,died in 1941,whereas the John mentioned by Cromwell was killed in action in WW1. Never mind,I'll try and get a...
  6. H

Gun Quarter

Thanks Di,I'm very interested in your suggestion,but I can't access it.I've tried typing in " Fighting Mortons" in the search box,but I get no results. Can you help a old computer illiterate? Many thanks, Pete
  7. H

Gun Quarter

I'm researching my mother's side of my family tree, and was wondering if anyone might be able to give me a push along.My mothers Grandfather and Great Grandfather were both employed in the Gun manufacturing trade during the 19th century.Their various addresses were all in the Gun Quarter...
  8. H

B'ham Aston & Nechells Surnames

Dear Cromwell many thanks for your help and interest. KRO. I'm beginning to think my Grandparents were never married ! Another skeleton in the cupboard,oh the disgrace ! This family tree researching sure gets exciting. Many thanks,Pete ;D
  9. H

I've really hit a brick wall trying to find any info. on my Grandfather.My father and his siblings were born between 1909 and 1914 to James Hopkins and Mary Wiggins.I've unsuccessfully tried to find details of their marriage.It is possible that Mary was living in Manchester in 1901,but all the...
  10. H

I'm afraid I haven't any more info.Cromwell. I'm really struggling to trace this side of my family. many thanks for your kind interest.I'll keep ploughing on. All the best, Pete H.
  11. H

Dear Cromwell, I'm desperately searching for any info on my Grandfather James Hopkins.He seemed to vanish between 1914 and when my deceased Grandmother re-married in 1925.I noticed an old soldier named Hopkins in your e-mail and wondered if you could let me have any info. you have. Many thanks...
Back