• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Temple Row

P I see you are one of the main contributors to this forum for Temple Row Vivienne, and I am the gentleman who first started this forum 10 years ago, and having recently returned to live back in Birmingham, I thought I would check how the forum was going, and so pleased to see that an interest...
  2. H

Temple Row

Walking down Cherry St, you turned into Cannon Street and we are looking up towards Temple Court which is at the top of photo, in the middle, but you only see the back wall, where our door used to be to get onto the Flat roof areas. The roof was divided up into sections, and each main...
  3. H

Temple Row

Three photos of Needless alley, and the third photo is of use to us now, because it shows a little bit of Temple Court, its on the left, with Union Chambers on the right, heading down towards our rear entrance for the building. Interesting though, is that the photo, around 1964, and can be...
  4. H

Temple Row

Master brummie has just found me a link with some excellent photos of Temple Court on Temple Row, as well as some other streets around our building, so at last I can show you were we lived. on the 2nd photo, we can just see Temple Court on the right hand edge of the photo, but for a better view...
  5. H

Temple Row

1n 1956, my grandfather William, passed away, and was buried in the Yardley cemetary, and my father, Jimmy Gunn, took over as the caretaker of Temple Court, and so we moved in during the summer of 1956. Jimmy and Ella Gunn Looking at the above photo, Temple Court is the last dark...
  6. H

Temple Row

After the war, early 1949, my grandfather William Williams, and his wife Olwen, became the caretaker of Temple Court, 55 Temple Row, which stood on the other corner of Needless alley, and I included this photo as there may be one or two alive today who remembers them, and will bring...
  7. H

Temple Row

Lets go back to the years of the second world war, and at this time, the caretaker of Union Chambers, on the corner of Temple Row and Needless alley, was a Mr Pitt, and part of his duty, and that of many of the tenants in the building, which then belonged to Eagle Star Insurance, was to be...
  8. H

Temple Row

Well, my dear friends, I have at last managed to get back onto this thread, I have tried for ages to get back to you all, but for some reason I couldn't sign on, so imagine how pleased I am to be back on the thread, and what a job you have all done, fantastic, so much still being added to our...
  9. H

Temple Row

Seeing that photo of the old red post box, reminded me that on the corner of Temple Row and Needless alley, we had an old Queen Victorian post box, and it was still there a number of years ago, proberbly the only one left now, so I was wondering if any of you know if its still there ? If...
  10. H

Temple Row

Thanks for that tip on the royal hotel, I really did feel it was on Temple row west, just about were the old joint stock building was, so if your advice is right, then I will have to change my history details about the hotel. I know the old Copthorn hotel was down that end, as there is a photo...
  11. H

Temple Row

Thank you for that old drawing viv, and as stated, it is the corner of Temple Row west and Colmore row, and just a few houses down would be were the royal hotel would have been when Lord N elson visited Birmingham, and stayed there, thats why later on in years they built ye old nelson pub...
  12. H

Temple Row

TEMPLE ROW, AND NEEDLESS ALLEY Brilliant comments on why Temple Row, but it looks as if a dovecote is going to win out for us, because that round building on the map is just about were Union Chambers stands, on one side of Needless alley, and the row of houses on the other side, top end of...
  13. H

Temple Row

TEMPLE ROW. Well Viv, your question on what is the meaning of Temple Row has captured attention, but it looks as if we have no clear indication as to how it got its name, but if it did originate by the thought of it being connected to the Priory and the use as a hospital by the nuns, then that...
  14. H

Temple Row

Bingley Hall. What a great little dump that was, yet so very important to Birmingham. All sorts of things went on in it. Any memories about the Ideal home exhibitions, we went there for many ideas. Then, I believe, we had food exhibitions, so help me out on this one if you can, and it was used...
  15. H

Temple Row

You are right, I remember it now, good old Bingley hall, especially round the Christmas time when the circus came to town, and we had for many years, followed the circus with a convention there, and had to help clean the place up and get rid of the smell of the animals and what they left behind.
  16. H

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

The midland red from St Martins was vital for my brother and I who in the late 50's played football together for a team I had formed, we called ourselves Wainbridge, and I bought the shirts for the team from Harry Parkes near the law courts, and we played our home matches at Wagon lane, as the...
  17. H

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

Yes, your are right about the last of the turkeys and chickens going cheep, sorry, cheap, and as we lived in Temple Row, it was easy to go down at the last minute and get a good turkey for a decent price, but I always seemed to be the one to have to carry it home, and it didn't look as if it had...
  18. H

Temple Row

Here are 3 memories from the past, in the 50's, can you remember them, or have heard of them. First of all, the carnival rag, in the 50's a carnival well worth seeing, every float was brilliantly decorated, there were bands of all sorts, clowns, even animals, and we had 2 parades a day, at...
  19. H

Temple Row

I dont think many people will have realized that there is so much history about Temple Row, and I know that when our youngest was at school, now in her mid forties, on her last year, she chose Temple Row has her subject, and the teacher tried to change her mind, but she stuck at it, and got top...
  20. H

Temple Row

Well done paul, and you couldn't beat the old smell could you ? We used snow hill a lot, in my early years to go back to wales to the family, for I was born in Fffestiniog snowdonia, right in the slate mine area, so we often went home as a young child to see my uncles and aunties, and it was...
Back