• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Courtyards and yards of brum

Is that not 60 Essington Street? Got all excited as it's an address for gt gt Grandfather, 2bk 60. Grim times.
  2. L

3D/photo/ or a ghost effect photo..

Have a quick look in the group, we have a photo of the same corner before the demolition for the flats, it was the Dog and Duck pub on this corner :o)
  3. L

3D/photo/ or a ghost effect photo..

Hi Chris, Maggie Bonham is trying to do a similar thing for the flats for the reunion, a merge of before, during and after photos. Problem is we need all the during photos we can get :o)
  4. L

Balsall Heath.

We're holding a reunion for St Martins Flats residents and anyone that lived worked or played in the neighbouring area. It will be on Saturday 21st July, message me for more details.
  5. L

St Martins Flats (Highgate) Reunion 2012

Our room is booked......................Saturday 21st July 2012.....................COBS bar Sherlock Street......................2pm, with an hour long walk around Highgate leaving Vaughton Street shops at 1pm. There will be a buffet, many local organizations displaying historical displays and...
  6. L

St Martins Flats (Highgate) Reunion 2012

To all ex residents of St Martins Flats and surrounding streets, I am trying to organise a reunion in June 2012. If anyone would be interested in attending or helping in any way, small or large, I would be deeply appreciative. Maybe you would like to do a display board of memories or photos...
  7. L

Early Schools

Hi, Thanks for all the advice. I spoke to some ex-pupils of the old Chandos and it turns out they were two different schools. Searching for Chandos doesn't really bring up much :o( just the new school, where I am a governor. But I will keep looking. Went to archives today, 1st photo mission, and...
  8. L

Thomas Family, Golden Hillock Road, Small Heath

Hi, The Henry and Selina Gossage on the above 1901 census are part of my family. I have no Selina born to them on my branch but if it does turn out to be one of your Gossages I have a fair few generations here up to present day.
  9. L

Early Schools

Hi Jenny, Sorry if this sounds really stupid but I was wondering if you could help on the Moseley Road County Primary school......................So it wasn't named Chandos???? I knew it was on Chandos Road, but everyone I grew up with always refered to it as Chandos school. Yet even in my book...
  10. L

School reunion

I'll be there :o) Should be good to see some of our old teachers.
  11. L

Vaughtons Hole, Highgate

Wow, wow and wow. Thank you so much everyone. Bill Dargue is our reading recovery teacher at school (situated ON Vaughtons Hole) but I didn't have his web address, so thank you Phil. Off to look through them all now. All I had was the Pollack brothers info, but thanks again for these gems...
  12. L

Vaughtons Hole, Highgate

Does anyone have any information regarding this area of Highgate? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
  13. L

Normans of Essington St (1891-1911)

Hi, My Gossages were all from birmingham central south (Ss Luke, Martin & Alban), round Hope St and Bissell St late 1800's to 1923, then they moved Balsall Heath side of the river, I believe Longmore St. We have two Lillians, Nan 1922 and her Aunt 1899 and her sister Rose. My Great Nanny...
  14. L

Thanks Bren, just ordered the ordance survey map, they are great aren't they. Lisa
  15. L

Thank you Sylvia x
  16. L

Any maps or information would be greatly appreciated.
  17. L

The Emily Arms Pub

The Rose Tavern is still going strong and has a very pretty garden attached now. McVeighs is also still going. The Emily Arms (in the site it is now, on the righ looking down Emily St) funnily enough was named Doyles for a short while, after Emily it was called Tom's Place and was at its best...
  18. L

Loveday Street Hospital

Thanks for the photos, my Nan was born in Loveday Street Maternity in 1924, and yes Rowton House is in Highgate it is now Paragon Hotel x
  19. L

Societies: Loyal Caledonian Corks Society

My husbands family also has a, myth maybe, story about his great grandfather being a founding member of The Caledonian Corks in Kings Heath. They lived that way too for nearly a century.
Back