• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. brianthelion

Hockley GWR Station

What’s the building with the tower/cupola in the background please?
  2. brianthelion

Nellie Fisher's beer house on 'western end' of Summer Lane

Hops are herbaceous maybe it’s a way round things?
  3. brianthelion

Butcher’s Arms Snow Hill

Love these old maps and trying to picture what it was like. Those courts were probably very grim and the pubs did good trade (probably mainly men no doubt!).
  4. brianthelion

Butcher’s Arms Snow Hill

Just time for a quick one or many before the train home!
  5. brianthelion

Old Birmingham Repertory Theatre

I did the tour the other week and can recommend that. It is many steps however. Staggered at how little space there is for everything. Also as you face the stage there is a surprising narrowing of the building on the right hand side which becomes very clear as you go backstage.
  6. brianthelion

Rose Villa Tavern

Although technically it is up for sale,Star Heineken do have plans to make it a “flagship” Pub. The lease was up for the current tenant and I noticed today that planning permission for an upgraded kitchen has already been submitted.
  7. brianthelion

Old Maps Website

Great link and interesting maps. The old Birmingham Grand Theatre looks interesting.
  8. brianthelion

Snow Hill Station

Please stand behind the yellow line!!!
  9. brianthelion

Metro Extension to Centenary Square and beyond

Worse still with Corporation St closed the Council didn't inform the businesses affected. The owner of the Tilt bar turned up this morning and realised there's no way deliveries can get to his property and neither can the emergency services! Only in Birmingham can a business battle to survive...
  10. brianthelion

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Still a going concern in Tyseley!
  11. brianthelion

Love these posts. Excellent stuff and a great discovery.
  12. brianthelion

Midland Railway Goods Offices Birmingham 1865-1870

Fascinating to see the Hall St map as my apartment block Quartz is at 10 Hall St. 12 is now a little piece of empty land. I can’t imagine the lives of the people over whose history I now live. The Tesco’s is where the bank was and I’m a few floors over that. The courtyards must have some stories...
  13. brianthelion

The Jewellery Quarter

Is it Ikon or iron house which is on Great Hampton Row?
  14. brianthelion

KEY HILL HOCKLEY

Good stuff everyone. Great to see. Live just around the corner and fascinating to see what was once here.
  15. brianthelion

14 years living in JQ and never ever noticed this on Albion Street before!
  16. brianthelion

Pub on corner of Hylton Street/Vyse Street that is now the Hylton Cafe

Good stuff all and thanks for the Lord Nelson pic. I use the cafe most weekdays and can certainly recommend it!
  17. brianthelion

Thats the one, The Nelson, manu many thanks
  18. brianthelion

May just have been a beer house but definately appeared in a photo I saw in one of the Birmingham books, I think one of the Hockley ones however my copy is elsewhere at the moment. Gary the current cafe owner also recalls the photo.
Back