• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Watch it! you'll catch "The Fever"
  2. B

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Hi Eddie, John and Gillie Coghlan are good friends of mine and he is still playing with his band John Coghlans Quo. He has done a European tour for the last 2 years, back with Status Quo including Alan Lancaster the original bass player. To me that is the best ever Status Quo lineup, it...
  3. B

Remembrance Day 2014

We were in Birmingham city centre about midday on Sunday and was surprised at the number of people not wearing poppies. I would hazard a guess at around 1-2% with poppies, this was after the main event but even so seemed very poor.
  4. B

Brummie sayings & language

Bones were collected and sold to manufacturers of bone handle knives and pipes etc.
  5. B

Courtyards and yards of brum

Was the lavender polish called "Ronuk"?
  6. B

The corner sweet shop

We would say to the local "chippy", Got any chips left? Well that's your fault for frying too many!
  7. B

Swimming Lessons

I got my free pass at Monument Rd for swimming 1 length. We used to drink Cow & Gate or Horlicks after the session, I can't remember which! Also having to step into some kind of disinfectant before going into the pool (must have had foot and mouth), and sometimes having to hire those trunks that...
  8. B

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Anyone remember the DJ at the Alhambra called Dave Terrry?
  9. B

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Yes of course! Very painful if your fingers got in the way.
  10. B

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Crude method of castration perhaps?
  11. B

Coffee shop John Bright Street 1950-60's

Looks like "Venezia" (Venice)
  12. B

Street furniture

It amazes me that most shops had their goods protected only by a pane of glass. I can remember looking at watches in the jewelers window, couldn't be done now. I once went to a party were they had a full and working cigarette machine on the sofa. I didn't ask any questions!
  13. B

Street furniture

Am I imagining it, but did some cigarette machines sell packets in 19's instead of 20's if they cost more than half a crown for 20?
  14. B

Street furniture

I started smoking after finding an Irish half crown in my change and me and a pal (both non smokers) decided to put it in a cigarette machine outside a shop at the top of Shakespeare rd, I think the cigarettes were called Sterling. It took me about 25 years to quit the habit.
  15. B

Courtyards and yards of brum

Hi Cookie. I agree, and it was the same in the "front" house. I honestly can't think of anything nice to say about coming from a slum. Even in the 60's it was third world!
  16. B

Origins of the Brummie accent

Big toy superstore near Oldbury , "Toys am we"
  17. B

City Centre Photographs

Google Earth?
  18. B

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Are you sure it was Gas St?
  19. B

Spring Hill roller rink

Re: spring hill rollar rink Hi Maxine. We used to stand on the left side of the stage (when facing it) most of the guys had long hair, about 3 of them were called Mick, and there was Ray (dark curly hair). We used to skate now and then but much preferred the girls!
Back