• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

Garages And Service Stations

Some of the garages I’ve worked for have covered the open pits with pit boards/planks, great idea but no one bothered putting them back so you were left with piles of pit boards which often disappeared like the wooden wheel chocks we had to renew every year for the PSV annuals.
  2. N

We had 6 commercial vehicle inspection pits when the Oil Terminal I worked at first opened. In all the years I worked there and at other similar locations I have never known anyone fall down an open pit. I know nowadays they are frowned on with ramps being the safer option but I don’t know of...
  3. N

Coach Trip to Weston Super Mare

Certainly changed since I visited in 1966, may go back .
  4. N

FLIGHT's Coaches

I knew Mick when I worked for Ron Lees back in the end of 1970 early 1971. Unfortunately I never photographed anywhere .I worked.
  5. N

Prestage Ltd

The only name I remember was Brian (crankle) Crawford who was the chargehand when I left in 1964. I started 1960 as trainee mechanic as only 14 so paid petty cash thanks to Frank Griffin. Did stores, car section, auto lube, Hgv, then finished in car section. Great fun times.
  6. N

who remembers fireball xl5

Must sort out one of my first records Fireball XL5 .
  7. N

Prestage Ltd

Hello. As an ex Ryland employee from the early sixties I”m curious as to where Ryland Vauxhall was located as all the car repairs were carried out in Ryland street whilst I worked there. Thanks.
  8. N

Prestage Ltd

I remember collecting new cars from the storage compound off Robin Hood Island, whilst Prestage’s where the main Vauxhall dealer Rylands, who I worked for from 1960, were a secondary dealer. Later on in when I moved to a coach company we bought our Bedford spares from prestage’s spares department.
  9. N

Fisher & Ludlows factory

I remember the Austin Gypsy the follow on to the champ mainly because I was caught speeding in 1966 when Birmingham city police used them for the radar speedchecks.
  10. N

Anyone Grow Up In Dovedale Road/Perry Common Area.........?

Sounds like my mate Ernie Marsdon worked at Electric Avenue and Stockland Garage on the petrol pumps part time. Moved to Hampstead where he kept all manner of animals, one Christmas he gave me a duck which was beautiful. Drove a mini van and trailer made up of the back end of a scrap minivan...
  11. N

Commercial Vehicles

I remember while Working for Ryland Garage who were Seddon and Perkins dealers changing a head gasket on a Perkins 6.354 engine. The engine was on trial and a Perkins service engineer came down and sat in the cab watching me change it presumably checking what had caused the gasket to blow.
  12. N

Fleur-de-Lys pies

You lot are too fussy and have no concept of being poor like we is.
  13. N

Fleur-de-Lys pies

Yes she does. She’s moved to a business park here in Helston and her shop is in Porthleven. She closed the lizard base down a couple of years ago.
  14. N

Fleur-de-Lys pies

We get plenty of Pasties here in Cornwall but the major chains are usually rubbish just full of veg and little meat.
  15. N

Smith's Coaches Stratford Road

Stocklands relied on seasonal and part timers as most of the work out of season was work services including work for the coal board moving miners from pits that had closed to those remaining open. I worked at Stocklands as a PSV mechanic but preferred doing the Friday overnight trips to South...
  16. N

Fleur-de-Lys pies

Our regular stop after a night at the Tower Ballroom late sixties. Steak and Kidney mind you not Turkey
  17. N

Smith's Coaches Stratford Road

I remember Stocklands had a model T Charabanc stored at the Marsh hill Garage. This used to be used for the Erdington show Back in the sixties.
  18. N

Perry Beeches Secondary School

There was a class in 4th year for what was termed as slow learners, Miss Lloyd was the teacher in 1959/60 and the class was 4 L. I remember this well as I was in that class having missed 3rd year.
  19. N

We had one of our road tankers roll over loosing most of its 32,000litre load of motor spirit due to the side of the aluminium tank being ripped open. The roll over happened on a roundabout under what was to be the extension to the M53. The whole of the contaminated area had to be excavated...
  20. N

Went to one of our coaches broken down on Esso garage forecourt mid sixties in Bridgewater. Garage was closed so we decided to borrow one of the tiger heads over the Esso globes. My friend, who was with me, wore the tigers head all the way back to Stockland Green while we were towing the...
Back