• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. el-stano

Mr Erskin's shop in Alum Rock

Hi All! Having followed the discussions about the Forum's direction/content, here's an attempt to start a historical-type thread. I was born in Foxton Road, Alum Rock in 1948. We moved away when I was about 7. One abiding memory is of an old chap called - I think - Mr Erskin (or possibly...
  2. el-stano

The Scarlet Pimpernel, Harbourne

Hello All, We were watching Doctors this afternoon and the plot centred on a pub which looked real. I googled it and came up with the Scarlet Pimpernel in Harbourne. In flashback, it appeared to be open, but it was night and the pub was only in the background. In the present time it was boarded...
  3. el-stano

Streetview image capture

Mornin' all. Would some kind soul please explain how to get an image from Google streetview onto your 'puter? Many thanks, Stan
  4. el-stano

Bumper Fun Book

On the phone to my old mom today. She's taken to telling me awful jokes lately. This time she announced it with: "Bumper Fun Book, 1927". This was an old saying in the family whenever someone told a terrible, Christmas cracker-style joke. How that took me back! Our nan and grandad had this...
  5. el-stano

Wandering Minstrel

Hi! Can anyone bring me up-to-date on the Wandering Minstrel in the Bull Ring Centre, please? I used it every day in 1965-6 when I worked in High Street. In effect it was my first "local". I remember that the landlord (Dave) and his wife (Anne?) were very big on food at lunchtimes. I think they...
  6. el-stano

Your first pint/cherryB/gin & it/etc (delete as applicable)

Can you recall the date (roughly), place and circumstances of your first drink in licenced premises? Suppose this ought to be in Brum only, but I don't make the rules... Mine was in about 1964. I had a Saturday job in the menswear dept of Henry's Stores, a horrible down-market place, somewhere...
Back