• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

St Gabriel's Italian Church Deritend

Hi all I was wondering if anyone has come across an old Photo of this church please ? I know it was hit by a bomb in the war and ended up beng demolished. My nan and her sister had a jhoint wedding in this church in 1915 :) Many Thanks Jean
  2. C

Garrison Lane Pubs

Hi Folks .. I just found out today that my Uncle Tom did bare fist fighting in the Garrison around the 50s and 60s . He had 12 fights won 10 and lost only 2. His name was Kid Payton. In his later years in the 1980s as an old man he just went there to play Dominoes. Some people knew him to be...
  3. C

Birmingham Old Time Boxers Club

Hi Keith . My Uncle Tom who has been long time dead used to Barefist fight sometimes behind the Gypsys tent and some times down Garrison lane .. this was in the late 40s 50s . I would be interest in any info you get back to you. Regards Jean . His name was KiD Payton .. John William Payton known...
  4. C

The Blitz

Viv My mum has never recovered .. they were not councilled back then . Just given a cup of hot strong tea and had to pick themselvfes up and get on with it . Mum had 3 nervious breakdowns .. she cant sleep with the lights out even now and on Bonfire night she is terrified .. Yes we are very...
  5. C

Montgomery Street School

Re: Mr D.B Brazier headteacher Montgomery School till late 70s Hi Micheal .. Yes I remember you .. I do not have a brillaint memory for my early years . I dont know why and its all mixed up in my head . Sorry about the arthritus . We have osteo arthritus in my family and its hitting all us...
  6. C

Montgomery Street School

Re: Mr D.B Brazier headteacher Montgomery School till late 70s Hi Mikeg I certainly do remember .. Best school ever .. Well I Loved Mrs Hobjinska she used to tell us stories of her escaping and coming to England from the war . I was so inspired by her that I took the violin up and now I am a...
  7. C

old brum mag pics..

I agree with you Eric those buildings are way too clean and Tidy . Many thanks for your story It saddens me but at the same time ,by the way we were brought up or had to manage in those days it made us not afraid of hard work ( Elbow Grease as my nan called it ) We are fighters and know how to...
  8. C

old brum mag pics..

Wonderful Pictures . Many thanks for putting them up . We lived in Willis street which had a courtyard when you went down the entry . I shall only say one thing that they did have in those days and that no one died lonely , These days you could die in your bed and not be found for days . We are...
  9. C

Morris Commercial Vehicles

Hi Jetty man .. My dad too worked at the Morris Commercial and His Name was Harry Payton .. or Acka .. I remember very well Sunday nights .. I was 3 years old and had to sing on the stage .. 'Ab Yu Ebber Bin Lonely ' Or translated was 'Have you ever been Lonely , Have you ever been blue ' I...
  10. C

Radio: Crystal Sets & CB Radio

Yes // We took our Ham exam too .. even joined a ham club but only lasted 3 weeks because I was the only lass . One of the men sent 'Oiss Off ' in morse at me and another man laughed at my soldering .. Id made a small linear amp . I was so upset and promptly left . Its a shame because there was...
  11. C

Hi Wendy :) I think I do remember .. Me and Ken always came with Captain Audio ( Roger ) and Cat lady ( Joyce) I think it was a fancy dress if my mind serves me right . Well Fancy that :) What was your brothers name Wendy ? Lovely to catch up with you again :) xx
  12. C

I remember You Delta Lady .. wow its many years ago . We lived in Burntwood and were in the CB radio club there . We were Sierra Bravo .. songbird and squire :) Lovely memories :) Regards Jean xx
  13. C

Wow Lovely to hear .. some of the old CBers are still about . I was Songbird and my Hubby was squire . We were Dxers ers mainly but loved our CB very Much . Up on top of the Beacon in the early hours . My Mum was Country Singer . I wish there was something like that now for her because she is 80...
  14. C

Parents of our parents.

Hi oldmohawk Its Lindyloo who was wondering about your Taylor family history :) BTW Im glad you liked my story . Yes I have been in here now for about 3 years and I love this site very much . I have lived in Halifax now for 20 years and I still have a broad Brummy accent . Brummie born and...
  15. C

Parents of our parents.

I am also going to put my old photos on , we shall not be beaten by these people who have attacked this wonderful site and I shall endeavor to try to find as many as I can of my old Brummagem pics . So I shall start with My mums Mom and dad John Thomas Clarke or Jack as he was called . Now he...
  16. C

Thomas & Ann Clarke Burial

There is some tie some where between these families . I am from the other Clarke family .. But its odd they all share names . They will be connected some where I am sure . 1881 census Tube Drawer Name: Age: 38 Samuel Clarke Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843 Relation: Head...
  17. C

Thomas & Ann Clarke Burial

Did your Thomas Clarke have a father called James Clarke 1802 - c1869 And a younger brother called James ? Regards Jean
  18. C

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

For me Montgomery Street Primary school and Waverley Grammar and then Birmingham School of Music Dale end .. moving to Paradise circus :) I had a brilliant education :) Edit. A link to Waverley Grammar School thread is here...
  19. C

Waverley Grammar School

I went to Waverley too Long live Daddy Walker :)
  20. C

Ward boatmen

Morning Len :) Ok I will it might have something to do with my Flash player as I do get the sight but the page is blank :) Hope you are well down there Jean x
Back